Author Topic: Shipping US to Canada  (Read 1436 times)

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Shipping US to Canada
« on: May 04, 2019, 09:51:07 PM »
Is there a cheaper way to ship something from the us to canada. From what I can find on the web border fees are going to be $63can and the post office wants $27usd. Does that sound right to send a 6 by 9 inch envelope about 3/4 inch thick? It will weigh less than a pound. Am i missing something or is that what it costs?

Michigan to Alberta
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Shipping US to Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:00:44 PM »
Never run into the border fees that you mention, the post office cost looks right. Where do you see the border fees? If its just documents, that should not apply.

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 10:24:53 PM »
its a small box 1 inch by 1.5 inch by 3/4 inch in a 6 X 9 inch envelope.

Post office said to fill out a customs declaration so I assume there are customs fees and dutys. Value will be 200USD.

I'm hoping i'm wrong

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:26:02 PM »
Even without the customs fees, its a lot! Seems like it could be cheaper to drive there...!

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 11:09:31 PM »
who is telling you $63?, what border fees?  On things made in the US there is no duty (Until the recent insanity that is), but it depends on the country of origin, not where you are sending it from. 

If sending it USPS, they hand it over the Canada Post who collects the sales tax, same as if the person bought it here.  Their fee is modest, 8 or 10 dollarettes.  Avoid UPS or FEDEX as they do gouge on the fees. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:07:15 AM by Mcgyver »

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 11:21:08 PM »
who is telling you $63?, what border fees?  On things made in the US there is no duty (Until the recent insanity that is), but it depends on the country of origin, not where you are sending it from. 

If sending it USPS, they hand it over the Canada Post who collects the sales tax, same as if the person bought it here.  Their fee is modest, 8 or 10 dollarettes.  Never send UPS or FEDEX as they do gouge on the fees.

Thats good to hear. I was hoping I had this wrong. It would just be the 27 bucks and thats it. Thank you.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 12:12:26 AM »
Thats good to hear. I was hoping I had this wrong. It would just be the 27 bucks and thats it. Thank you.

treat it as a "should be" rather than an "is" :).  It really does depend on country or origin and the current duty list (which with the trade war there is some US/CDN duties on some items). 

You guys have it much better, irrc anything other 700 or 800 comes in without charges, but our clowns have to pay for their folly somehow so are there with their hands out for every little purchase
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:54:24 AM by Mcgyver »

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »

treat it as a "should be" rather than an "is" :).  It really does depend on country or origin and the current duty list (which with the trade war there is some US/CDN duties on some items). 

You guys have it much better, irrc anything other 700 or 800 comes in without charges, but our clowns have to pay for their folly somehow so are there with their hands out for every little purchase
Actually the low threshold is courtesy of the Retail Council of Canada and similar retail trade groups who want to keep the pay wall up to protect their own price gouging. They put up a big fight during the recent NAFTA negotiations to keep it that low, I think it crept up to CA$40 now instead of $20.

On the good news side, not every package gets pulled aside for the 13% HST payment so your buyer might get lucky.

What I find fascinating is that sending the same package in the opposite direction seems to cost only CA$12! Tracking would make it CA$20.

So glad that I live near the border to get my parcels delivered to a mailbox there.

Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »

So glad that I live near the border to get my parcels delivered to a mailbox there.

Where do you get your stuff sent to MODEL CITY?  Haahahah!!!

Sorry, had to do it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal