Author Topic: Cutting BMS Bar  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Smudger

Cutting BMS Bar
« on: May 03, 2019, 03:57:53 AM »
Hello all. Advice please. New to this hobby I have limited tools and machinery for making my model engine, I have a 50 mm diameter piece of steel 150 mm long and need to reduce its length to about 25 mm to make a flywheel. I have inherited a Chester conquest lathe, it has a 80 mm chuck but only internal Jaws. What would be the easiest way to cut to length and then mount it on the lathe so I can turn it down.
I’m not sure if manual hacksawing will work
Two burning. Two turning. A steady Watch

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: Cutting BMS Bar
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 05:29:43 AM »
I would cut it with a hacksaw slightly longer than needed then face it square in the lathe.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 07:08:42 AM »
Yep, hacksaw would be safest

Parting part way through near the chuck with tailstock support will probably be more than the lathe can handle so not worth trying.

Online sco

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 08:42:53 AM »
Will the 80mm chuck safely hold 50mm bar though?

I'd invest in a new chuck with both sets of jaws as will increase the versatility of the lathe for future jobs.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 09:36:54 AM »
I think you will need a set of external jaws to safely hold a 50mm bar in a 80mm chuck, plus tailstock support.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 01:38:12 PM »
I'd go with the hacksaw, cut a couple of mm over length, then face of in the lathe. I did a 6" one a couple of years back when the bandsaw was out of action, I did it in a number of sessions, over a few days with a new 18 tooth blade.  The lump of steel was a bit too long to fit the lathe.
Ian S C

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 05:14:25 AM »
Forgot to add ... to safely hold it in the lathe to face it I would drill a centre hole smaller than the shaft size, cut the head off a bolt and fasten the steel between two nuts done up tight. For a facing cut it works well.

I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal