Author Topic: Ford Wyvern type petrol engine  (Read 12376 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Ford Wyvern type petrol engine
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »
Hi All,...Why is it always me that is different !! :Lol:  Is it because i always think outside the box ?? Was this engine made by a left handed person ?? I think the reason that these engines ran the way they do is because it is easier to start by pulling the flywheel away from the engine  ??Perhaps it was  because the engine builder chose to make the unusual valve arrangement for this type of engine ? Would it be possible to "reverse" it by repositioning the cams ? and was this a mistake by the original builder ?    So  many questions !!!! steam is so simple !!  Thanks for everybodys input to this project and i will be able to resume work on the Bressingham engine shortly.....I will also be making a longer video ..outside this time !!

Willy

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »
well done, great success, a nice runner, whatever the direction !
but outside owing to fumes !

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
Well....

In true Stationary engine parlance the front of the engine is where the power was taken from, the crankshaft. We see this end as the back these days! Preferring the " gubbins " to look at.   :)

Many of the larger engine manufacturers gave the end user the option of running direction by providing the means to reverse the valve gear.

In the case of your engine Willy, there shouldn't be any need to reposition the cams on the sideshaft but simply drop the half time gear away from the crankshaft and then rotate the crankshaft by 180 degrees. Re check the operation of the valves, inlet starting to open at TDC being closed just before or on BDC. Both closed at TDC ( ignition ) exhaust starting to open just before or on BDC. Obviously in the reverse direction to what you had before !   :)

Cheers Graham.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »
Great job Willy. I've been watching in the background, and I'm happy for you.---Brian

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2019, 01:47:32 AM »
Thanks all for your comments and further info..I will be making a longer more informative video soon.......

Willy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal