Author Topic: Ford Wyvern type petrol engine  (Read 12374 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Ford Wyvern type petrol engine
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2019, 04:15:48 PM »
Don't try to clean them up too much, even on the new ones some parts are quite dark though I don't know what the material is.

This may also be of interest it shows a few different buzz coils being tested, I know Graham likes playing with electrickery. I have my name down for one of the RMC ones when Nick completes the next batch.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hukTnCoJDt4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hukTnCoJDt4</a>

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 04:17:50 PM »
Hi Jo, ok thanks ... might see you at Doncaster if you are going...  I will be wearing my red Muppetchester  cap !!  sorry Manchester United cap !!!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2019, 04:27:35 PM »
hi Jason, thanks for the vid....there is actually so much info about these items ...Whatever did we do before the WWW ??

Willy

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2019, 07:33:43 PM »
Hi Graham, I have now been cleaning up the Points on my trembler box and was wondering if they are made from Platinum ??

No. It is likely to be a Silver Alloy.

Jo

Or tungsten  :thinking:

https://electronic-products-design.com/geek-area/electronics/relays/relay-contact-materials

Dave

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2019, 07:38:59 PM »

Whatever did we do before the WWW ??

Swilled ale. Rode / fell off motorbikes. Molested the womenfolk. Got molested by the womenfolk. Pleaded 'Guilty but got no money' to the beak.  etc. etc. ...... Happy days .. so I've been told.  :)

Dave

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:52 PM »

Whatever did we do before the WWW ??

Swilled ale. Rode / fell off motorbikes. Molested the womenfolk. Got molested by the womenfolk. Pleaded 'Guilty but got no money' to the beak.  etc. etc. ...... Happy days .. so I've been told.  :)

Dave

I cannot remember that far back

The points could be wolfram

I was taught to never file any contact ( causes them to weld due to ridges ) the best way to clean them is to use the back of cloth emery tape never the emery side

Stuart
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:18:23 AM by Jo »
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2019, 10:05:34 PM »
My memory of the time back when bikes still used points, where NEVER ever use a file, emery paper (cloth) etc. - except perhaps for a short trip to the place where you could get a new set ....

Why ..?.. well they usually only lasted a few hours after you tried to work on the surface  :cussing:

I'm sure that the clean undisturbed surface was different from the rest of the material in one way or another - it might only be that sparks behaved differently on a perfectly polished surface.

I have done the repair quite a few times in my youth, as it was the only way forward at the time of action and as mentioned above - they where absolutely not serviceable after a few hours of driving.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2019, 11:34:32 PM »
Hi All , wow  wasn't expecting all those replies   ...i have not got the condenser yet but cleaned up the points with 1200 grit emery and found it did work ok on both 6 and 12 volts !! also connected up the spark plug and found that although no condenser there was a miserable spark !!! so why did i try that  ?? because i did get a nasty shock from being too close to the ternimals when holding the wire to the positive connection... so more to learn yet still.....I spent most of my youth climbing trees and cliffs on the Isle of Sheppy trying to find those "Dinosaur eggs" that occasionally fell out !!!  perhaps i could look that up?!!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2019, 11:41:35 PM »
Hi Graham, yes the silencer is a casting and the pipes are copper so it will be easy to alter. Is there a reason for the length of it  and should i clean the inside of it ? and what is the best cleaner to use ?  I wonder what the inside looks like as it is just an enclosed box ??

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2019, 11:55:07 AM »
Hi Graham, yes the silencer is a casting and the pipes are copper so it will be easy to alter. Is there a reason for the length of it  and should i clean the inside of it ? and what is the best cleaner to use ?  I wonder what the inside looks like as it is just an enclosed box ??

Good morning Willy.

The exhaust " bottle " was a common fitment to many stationary engines from the fractional to the immense. Usually a hollow Iron casting to allow the hot gases to expand and reduce the noise. Some were fitted with a " drain cock " to periodically drain condensate. Because of the price many would not pay for this " optional extra " preferring to do something of their own. I have several small power engines that have a polished Brass ferrule on the end of the exhaust pipe where a rubber hose would be pushed over to pipe away the gasses.

I have a feeling that the engine you're working on at present was probably exhibited at some time hence the pipe work to make things look neat and tidy.

The bottle is quite rare to see, particularly if it's the one supplied by the maker. I don't know much about Tom Senior myself, so couldn't say with confidence.

Alyn Foundry didn't just make IC engine kits, I also set up to help the preservation movement in general. We sold many exhaust castings of all shapes and sizes, tube chimneys and replacement parts from either patterns or broken parts. There's many an exhibit out there with one of my bottles attached to it!

Cheers Graham.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2019, 01:19:05 AM »
Ok I have now removed the old condenser and have soldered a new modern one in that is a lot smaller than the original. i will replace the chipped out pitch , but as there is a lot of empty space i have filled it up with  Corylis Caluna nuts  (turkish hazelnuts)  !!! The coil is now working again and will try to get the engine running.  there is a video now on Vimeo to show the process...Not a valid vimeo URL   

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2019, 02:50:16 AM »
I have now been re-routing the exhaust system  and also attaching the trembler coil....so soon will be ready for start up  !!

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:27 AM »
running your engine will smell like roasted hazelnuts, great!

nice work with the piping, although imho soft curves are to be preferred to sharp angles.

Online sco

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2019, 09:34:58 PM »
No real idea what you are up to in the video Willy but love what you have recycled in order to make your raised beds  :ROFL:

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »
Hi Simon, Just trying to get this old IC engine running.......But , you know all about IC  !!!! that's the thing about being an engineer it permeates in every area of your life  !!!!  and oneway everybody will have raised beds like this...I have allways been a pioneer !!!

back to the engine...it is now ready to start up so will be fun working out how to do it with the  'odd' carburettor thingy....
Here is a similar engine from 1905....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal