Author Topic: Ford Wyvern type petrol engine  (Read 12362 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Ford Wyvern type petrol engine
« on: April 30, 2019, 11:31:24 PM »
Hi all ,I have this engine on loan from the Norwich club and will try to get it working..... First i need to identify it so help would be appreciated.....I have called it the Ford Wyvern as the club thinks it is an old ETW Wyvern ....however there is a trembler / coil ignition box with it that has Ford inscribed upon.  The engine is 4 stroke and 1" bore  by 1.5" stroke... the flywheel is 5" and has curved spokes...So Photos  herewith.........
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:58:09 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Ford Wyvern type petrol engine
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 11:33:58 PM »
More pics.......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:37:00 PM »
more pics........So , any info about this including the ignition system and Cct diagram would be really helpful

Thanks
willy

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 01:14:21 AM »
Willy--Could it be a Centaur by Edgar Westbury? I just finished a horizontal sideshaft engine that has the same rocker arrangement as the Centaur and the engine in your pictures. The Centaur also has a single flywheel.---Brian

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 02:49:29 AM »
Hi Brian, ..had a look at the Centaur on the web but it seems to be 60 cc and 1.5" bore and 2" stroke whilst this is 1"  X 1.5"  ??  Thanks for the suggestion however ...Is your engine a Centaur ?  still wondering about the  "ford" trembler ? box ??

Willy...

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 03:46:29 AM »
Don't know about the motor, but Ford made the "Ford Coils" by the million, there's your answer, why make your own when there are loads of them available (they are getting fewer now, but you can buy new ones).
Ian S C

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 04:20:21 AM »
Hi Ian , thanks for that ...yes here it is ...cool ..coil...!!

Willy

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 07:14:00 AM »
Definately not  a Wyvern, cylinder to crankcase flange is different, head different etc

Probably one of many "small power" engines that were offered complete or as casting kits in the early part of the 20th centry. Each maker of these usually offered then in several horse power options such as 1/8hp, 1/4hp etc.

Standard ford buzz coil, that should "Buzz" when the engine contacts complete the circuit which gives many sparks rather than just one so it is a bit more forgiving of timing etc. Probably wants 6V on it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtte8UXowUo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtte8UXowUo</a>
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:17:54 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 07:55:57 AM »
Carb does have the look of a Senior about it and the oval cyl/crankcase flange is their shape.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im19330202MEE-Senior.jpg

Looks like they did make a side shaft though most of what you see are side rod (push rod) designs.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/7/7f/Im19220209MEE-TS.jpg

Pic of a larger one which looks to have cast lugs to mount the rocker arm supports on rather than what looks like a separate plate on your smaller engine. Also has the cam part way along the shaft for the electrical contacts

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:19:33 AM by Jasonb »

Offline michaelr

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 09:49:51 AM »
I'm inclined to agree with Jason it does look similar to a Tom Senior engine, but with a 1" bore and 1/1/2" stroke the Senior engine of that size is a push rod operated exhaust valve with automatic inlet, so my thinking is if it is the above engine did a model engineer of some skill convert the engine to cam operated valve's ?
However it will make a nice project to restore and return to running order.

Mike.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 10:31:02 AM »
Mike, that sounds like a good theory. The bore and stroke would put it a the 1/16hp size and the head end of the cylinder on that size curved inwards just like Willie's engine. It would also explain the rocker bracket looking like it was cut and bent from steel sheet and the quite "square" bearing support for the gear end of the shaft rather than them having been cast. 1/16hp also had 5" flywheels

It would be a nice little engine to measure up and have a go at scratch building :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:34:08 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »
Willy--This is my engine. I designed and built it, but used the rocker arm set-up that the Centaur used.---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fycK-IioAbQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fycK-IioAbQ</a>

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »
Hi all, Thanks Jason..yes this is the Tom Senior carb attached and it looks more like a 1/16 HP engine rather than a 'model' !! Hi Brian what fuel should i use and how do you actually start the engine ?  Do you just turn it over by hand ? Here is a pic from Graces Guide of the Carb...also is the ford coil a 6 or 12 Volt item ?
Willy

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 04:12:44 PM »
Willy as I said earlier you want 6V on the buzz coil.

Engine should run OK on pump unleaded or Colmans fuel.

I usually get mine to start just by pulling over the flywheel (top away from the engine) but if it is hard to start then I make a starting handle, some resort to using  a cordless drill. Back in the day cord or webbing wound around the pulley would have been another starting option bit like a basic recoil start now.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »
Willy--I use a Coleman fuel/2-cycle oil mixture at 50:1 ratio. For starting see the attached link.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,3062.msg52982.html#msg52982

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal