Author Topic: Hobby Tweezers  (Read 3566 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Hobby Tweezers
« on: April 29, 2019, 04:02:11 PM »
I find this set of tweezers available readily through a Google search very versatile. The bent shaped ones I find most useful.

Also useful is a special tweezer designed to hold the head of bolts or small round objects. So often closing a normal set of tweezers with pressure, sends the small bolt or screw fiiring across the room! These have a concave cavity at the tips. The ends are also rubberized.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Hobby Tweezers
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »
That’s a nice set John and very useful Micro Mark also has them if anyone is looking for a set.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 04:24:04 PM »
They're called "pearl tweezers", probably a designation derived from their use in the jewelery trade.  The third from the right in the black case are called "stamp tweezers".  Philatelists don't want to put dents in their precious stamps by using pointy tweezers hence the flat, spatulate tips.  As you might expect, they're great for handling small pieces of sheet-like material.

For placing those tiny Phillips head screws in tight spaces you might want to consider one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IZD48W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and for slotted screws, the companion version...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07192WLCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have both and can recommend them.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 05:29:32 PM »
Hi Marv,

Thanks for the added info.

Those 'grabbers' are very handy. If you want a 'lighter' touch there are ones that have more sensitive jaws of wire.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 05:43:35 PM »
You won't be surprised to learn that I have one of those as well.  I believe their original purpose was to hold loose diamonds for inspection.

Future readers of this thread should be warned that they are available in both three and four wire versions.  The latter are preferable as they provide a more secure grasp of the screw.

They're not the best thing for turning the screw; slippage can occur if there is any resistance offered by the thread.  The ones I showed incorporate an actual screwdriver point that engages the screw so there's no problem getting torque transmitted to the screw.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 06:30:20 PM »
Agreed Marv.
The lighter one I've shown would be used simply for placement of the screw or bolt in a small hole, not its turning or tightening.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 12:51:14 AM »
I have both of those marv and are well worth the purchase. John another nut holder you may be interested in is this one I have that one also.....

Regards Don

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 07:54:21 AM »
Ooooooo Don showing shiny things like that brings out the Magpie / magnetic fingers in me!
They cover quite a big range, now where’s that dam credit card...............

My good lady frequents kitchenware shops for any useful tools for the kitchen. I usual tag along as I get to carry stuff, every known & again I find something useful like a pair of tweezers 300 mm long.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 02:56:50 PM »
I have both of those marv and are well worth the purchase. John another nut holder you may be interested in is this one I have that one also.....

Regards Don

This could be another expensive day!  :ROFL:

Don..........I like that nut holder. Where is the ad from?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 03:09:27 PM »

Regards Don

This could be another expensive day!  :ROFL:

Don..........I like that nut holder. Where is the ad from?

Jim
I looked for it too - found it here:
https://www.micromark.com/Universal-Mini-Nut-Starter

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal