Author Topic: (Model) Oil field pump jacks  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
(Model) Oil field pump jacks
« on: May 29, 2019, 06:32:17 PM »
 Living only 2 hours North of Oil City, Pennsylvania (The "Birth" of the oil industry in the eastern half of the US), I've seen quite a lot of old oil field engines & pump jacks at old iron shows & decaying in their natural habitat. I really like the action of the jack & decided I would CAD model up a pump jack loosely based on the Stuart model from pictures, & what I could find online. I have the general mechanism modeled up & am ready to work on the pump/guide items.

I'm not sure exactly about what Stuart has going on with the 2 guide straps & bars coming off the beams main pivot attaching to the guide bar at the top of the pump...it would seem that a running fit is required there so these bars would not rotate about the axis of the beam, but it would seem that any binding from rotation would create problems. To me, it would seem that mounting these bars as fixed to the support would be a better alternative.

I'm also not sure with the workings of the actual pump itself, it seems that there is the rod driving the pump, & another rod (sleeve) on the outside of that, that looks keyed & able to move independently of the main pump rod.  :headscratch:

Brian Rupnow designed a version of the pump jack here: https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/oilfield-pumpjack-model-plans.8549/#post-95215
 What HASN'T Brian designed.. & did a really nice job on it. Thanks Brian for those drawings, I picked up some good ideas.

So...if anybody who has built a Stuart model, or is familiar with it, can provide any info, I would really appreciate the guidance. If theres enough interest, I will provide drawings of my completed disaster design.

John

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: (Model) Oil field pump jacks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 07:36:00 PM »
Hello John,

Well I was born and raised in Beaumont, Texas home of the Lucas Gusher ( Spindletop ). That is where the oil industry got started and I love all old oil field equipment. I spent many hours out at the old pumping station and around the wood derricks as a kid. I would love to have a copy of your drawings when they are ready. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 07:50:07 PM »
Tom Walshaw (Tubal Cain) did a nice version that was covered in Model Engineer some time back.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 10:55:33 PM »
This is the plan set for the pumpjack I built quite a few years ago.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zhdukxw2ef2/PUMPJACK_PDF_FILES.ZIP/file
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObAfMrkiif8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObAfMrkiif8</a>
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 11:09:19 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 05:41:28 AM »
Tom Walshaw (Tubal Cain) did a nice version that was covered in Model Engineer some time back.

Jason how many issues did it cover as it would be an ideal model for me to do. Been struggling with Arthur Ritus lately and need to get back into it.
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 07:09:06 AM »
If you type "neddy" into this search it will show the issues. Results will include a modified 10H "mermaid" engine that he built to power it.

http://www.itech.net.au/modelengineer/

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 07:40:39 AM »
It was a long series and starting from Volume 162, early 1989, it was in:

162/754, 163/100, 228, 362, 518, 644, 794         
164/102, 200, 348, 474, 608, 752         
165/106, 242, 368, 492,
166/92         

Volume No/page no

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 07:15:21 PM »
Thanks all!

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to get my hands on the ME magazines mentioned, but what a nice looking pumpjack that is.

Brian: Thanks for the links! I'm also glad you re-posted the vid of your version, you confirmed my thoughts of what any binding 0n the sucker rod & its effects might be. I really like your solution of the weight at the bottom of the rod & it ceratinly creates a silky smooth motion, very nice!

I'll do a little more head scratching & will try to post some drawings later today of where I'm at with this so far...

John

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
....Where I'm at.

The gears are stock items from SDP/SI, so gears don't need to be cut. The base is "shown" as a casting (I wanted to experiment with some"Draft" functions in my CAD program...) but, can be easily be fabricated & pieced up from stock.

Still not sure what to do with the pumping parts...it'll come eventually.

John

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 10:01:30 PM »
Hello John,

Just downloaded your drawings and will study them over a bit later. It looks good and appreciate you sharing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal