Author Topic: ENGINE SPEED GOVERNORS  (Read 9879 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: ENGINE SPEED GOVERNORS
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2019, 11:12:33 PM »
Just for the heck of it, at the end of my very long install a dishwasher at my oldest son's house day, I thought I would try this set-up. Driving the governor at 1:1 ratio off the crankshaft to see what would happen. What happened was that even at idle speed the governors swung out to their largest travel and no amount of tightening or loosening the counter spring would make them return to the "parked" position in close to the center spindle. Okay--driven at 1:1 off the camshaft they will be turning at half this speed. I'll let you know what happens when driven from the camshaft.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »
Hi Brian. I do try to keep up with whats going on and occasionally feel moved to make a comment.  If I understand your current setup, you are trying to adjust the governor response to the speed range of your engine.  If you cannot get the weights to move back in at normal operating speed by adjusting the knob, then you either need to increase the strength of the spring or increase the length of it's lever arm.  Once you have the weights running at about the middle of their range, you can connect the lever to the throttle plate.

For the weights to fly out, they must overcome all spring tension holding them in.  That includes the springs on the weights themselves as well as the spring tension in the control linkage. Slowing the governor shaft speed will help but the governor will be less sensitive to speed changes. 

I have always thought of governors as a means to control power rather than speed.  When the engine slows down as a result of increased load, it needs more power so the governor does its job and provides it. Maybe backwards thinking but it works for me.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2019, 06:43:26 PM »
Today I rearranged things a bit and drove the governor with a 1:1 ratio from the camshaft. Very pleased to report that when driven off the camshaft, the governor will both engage and disengage by changes in the engine speed resulting from changes in the throttle setting. Yesterday I tried this same trial by running the governor off the crankshaft, but  the governor was driven so fast that it would not disengage regardless of what engine speed I was able to achieve.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfL3ZmqV39o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfL3ZmqV39o</a>

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2019, 08:33:48 PM »
Hello Brian,

Congratulations, looks good in action :cheers:. That little engine sure does sound good besides looking good.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2019, 07:54:04 PM »
So there we have it, and its a beautiful thing. The engine is bolted to the sub base. The governor is just setting in the correct position, but not bolted down yet. I will wait until I have the Lovejoy coupling in place between the engine and governor before I drill and tap the holes which mount the governor. I did some more testing of the governor attached to the camshaft via pulleys and belt like shows in my last video, and I'm quite comfortable now that the cam shaft turns at the right speed for engagement and disengagement of the governor with slight variations in engine rpm.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2019, 10:55:51 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Nice work as usual brian!
Will you be attaching the governor lever to the engine throttle after you get the coupling in to verify the governor works with some sort of load on the engine?

I imagine you using some sort of engine braking & maybe a hand held tach?

John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2019, 11:13:38 PM »
Yes John--There will be  link from the end of that long arm to the carburetor throttle lever. Concept is to set the governor so that with no load on the engine  the engine coasts at a fast idle. When load is imposed on the engine, engine and governor will slow down, to which the governor responds by opening the throttle to give the engine more speed to offset the amount of rpm drop that the load has caused. When rpm is back to desired speed, governor holds it there. When load is removed, governor responds by closing the throttle and returning engine to desired rpm. For now my "imposed load" will probably be my thumb against the flywheel. That may change, depending on results.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2019, 12:15:32 AM »
The link that ties the governor arm to the carburetor throttle arm isn't going to be rocket science. Just a turned brass end and a piece of 1/16" diameter bent wire. My Lovejoy coupling won't be here until Thursday, so maybe tomorrow I will make the machined brass part of the link. I won't bend the wire until the governor is bolted down in it's final position, as dictated by the coupling.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2019, 06:51:52 PM »
We are ready to Rock and Roll!!! My Lovejoy coupling came in this morning and I immediately went down to Canadian Bearings and picked it up. Some of you may wonder why I waited until I had the coupling before I drilled the holes in the sub base to mount the governor to it.--Well, it's a matter of trust. I simply don't trust the solid models that are available from suppliers websites.---and in this case, my distrust was quite justified. The solid model I downloaded from Lovejoy had the center spider at 0.280" thick. In reality, it measures at about 0.400" thick. If I had positioned the governor based on their 3D cad model, all of my drilled and tapped holes would have been out by half a hole. Two years ago, a company I was doing some work for had me design about 15 dies based on the customer supplied 3D cad models. The dies were designed, machined, and sent to the customer. The parts they made from the dies were all way out of spec. What the Hell??? Turns out the customer parts had went thru 3 or 4 revisions and nobody updated the solid models. They fired the guy responsible at their end and the guy I was doing the work for had to eat about $30,000 in rework of all the dies. I have finished the link between the governor and the carburetor to what I hope is the correct length and soldered the ends on. I'm going to go eat a bowl of soup  and give the Loctite holding the pivot pins for the linkage time to set up a bit, and then start things up and see what happens.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2019, 07:52:37 PM »
It works!! I had to take one of the springs off the governor body, because it just wasn't sensitive enough with two springs on. Now I can start the engine and let the governor adjust the rpm the engine runs at in a no load situation. When I push hard on one flywheel with my thumb to load up the engine, you can see and feel the governor reacting to the load by opening the throttle to give the engine more gas to keep the rpm that the governor wants.  I will now try and make a video of this so you can see the action happening.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
This is the video which shows the governor working to maintain a constant rpm at the engine, whether it is in a "no load" situation or a "loaded" situation. I am pleased, it does work quite well. I may, in future, hook the engine up to some machine I build, but for now my thumb works pretty good as a "loading device".---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MlHMjrHGMM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MlHMjrHGMM</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2019, 08:30:51 PM »
Excellent!!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2019, 09:15:31 PM »
You must be happy with that result Brian  :ThumbsUp:

Offline gbritnell