Author Topic: ENGINE SPEED GOVERNORS  (Read 9900 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: ENGINE SPEED GOVERNORS
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 06:33:25 PM »
At this stage, the governor works. I had it up on the mill chuck, and it does indeed open and close as planned with rpm changes. I was going to make a video, but there isn't anything to really see yet. When I get to the stage of levers moving I will post a video. Something which isn't shown in the 3d model yet is the external counter spring. It has adjustable tension, and is used to fine tune the rpm at which the governor kicks in or kicks out.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »
Very interesting mechanism, following along closely...   :popcorn:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 10:53:22 PM »
This shows the governor counter-spring which adjusts the governor to engage at different rpm's. The governor is shown as "not engaged" in this model. When the governor begins to spin and "engage" the long blue lever moves to the left at the top end, and a link from it goes to the throttle lever on the carburetor. By turning the knurled adjuster wheel and putting more tension on the red counter-spring, we can control when the governor engages.---I think!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 11:46:51 PM »
I didn't do a lot today because I was running all over town with good wife doing things that had nothing to do with machining. But--While we were out running around town, I bought a $20 stick of bronze. Did I ever tell you how much I really HATE machining bronze?-Nasty grabby damned stuff. Made the sliding sleeve and three thrust washers this afternoon.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 12:58:01 AM »
Is that bearing bronze? I find it machines very easily. Phospher bronze is nasty.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 01:09:49 AM »
Chris--I don't know what kind of bronze it is. Nasty stuff to machine though.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 11:18:32 PM »
No machining today, had too many other things going on. As I sat playing with the governor as built last evening, I came to a sudden realization. When I move the flyweights out away from the center shaft, as they would do from centrifugal force, the fingers contact the end of the sliding spool and make it travel in a linear movement along the center shaft. However, when I move the flyweights back close to the center shaft, there is nothing to make the sliding spool move back to it's original position. Now it is a lot clearer to me about why the counter-spring is attached to a separate lever. The counter-spring pulls the lever back, which causes the shaft to revolve and that movement  also moves the two other arms which are connected to the governor thrust collar. The thrust collar which is trapped in one end of the sliding spool forces the sliding spool back until it is once more in contact with the arms on the flyweights. This is going to be very interesting to see in operation.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 11:26:51 PM »
Hmmmm... I had assumed (with no knowledge of governors or how they work) that the weights would push the spool in both directions - is the reason that it has the seperate spring and lever to return them that it allows you to over-ride the weights when desired?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 11:42:40 PM »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 11:46:18 PM »
Crueby--Yes, if the flyweights were tied to the spool so that they drove it in both directions, then the only way you would have of changing the "default settings" is to keep trying different spring strengths until you got it right. Being able to change the setting of the counter-spring tension accomplishes the same end result without changing springs.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 11:49:16 PM »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2019, 06:54:19 PM »
Bit by bit the plate brackets are coming together.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 12:29:11 AM »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 10:35:07 PM »
Another day--another part. With the help of two young grandsons we finished up the leaves today. Thirty one bags of oak leaves down to the road for the township to pick up. The grandsons age four and seven really thought it was cool riding around in the empty cart behind my lawn tractor. The baseplate which I finished this afternoon looks a bit different than the baseplate in the model. That is because I was trying to make as much as I could from "reclaimed" 3/4" material, and I didn't have a piece big enough to make it the same as the model. That's okay though.--I will make the missing piece of the baseplate a "bolt on" part.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:42:36 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 02:12:29 PM »
The governor is coming along nicely. I sympathize with you and the oak leaves, my street is lined with oak trees, all different varieties that drop their leaves all through the winter, the one at my gate looses most of it's leaves as the new ones come in the spring.
Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal