Author Topic: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy  (Read 2605 times)

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
Re: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2019, 09:53:18 AM »
My intention had been to use the Denford/Sherline mill to make the cam - it should be a simple profiling job.  Sadly the mill has not been playing ball.  I've been driving the mill from a laptop via a USB to serial converter which seems to lead to communication errors.  I'm currently in the process of  resurecting an old XP desktop which I had been hoarding because it has a parallel output which could be useful for  Mach 3.  It doesn't have a serial output so I'm waiting for Ebay to provide me with a PCI serial card.

Rod

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2019, 06:20:32 PM »
Sorry for the delay, hassle with the CNC mill (still bust) and the acquisition of a sailing dinghy for playing in Christchurch harbour have distracted me.  Also, I've been hosting my pics on the Coppermine Lister forum.  Although this was a generous offer, you may have noticed that the resolution and image size is not great and the bulk upload feature seems to be arguing with Flash.  So, I'm now trying to use Flickr...

Fabrication of the governor mechanism continues.  This little assembly needs a pivot with 2 arms at right angles - one holds the ball and the other actuates the catch lever spool.  The pivot was drilled for 2 off 1/8"  holes

Jerry calls for the bits to be assembled with silver bearing soft solder.  I'm more comfortable with hard silver solder so here they are anointed with silver alloy brazing paste.  The steel supports were roughly turned down ( horrible sticky steel ) to a diameter to ensure that the arms were parallel to the base

They were then warmed up with a torch 'til the solder flowed

The outboard end of the balls have little brass mounts for the spring.  The drawing shows a plain shank to be Loctited in place.  I prefer a thread which will be screwed 8BA and Loctited in the correct orientation

Once threaded this was held in a little fixture that is just a hole threaded 8BA.  I have a few of these of various sizes made from Precision Ground Mild Steel so that they can be re-used in a collet chuck.  First chamfered

and the round end finished with a hand graver

The flats were then milled and the hole drilled using the toolpost miller

The pivot pins are 3/32" and I decided to retain these using 3mm E clips so the pins were grooved using my modified hacksaw parting/grooving tool from a Len Mason Design

These bits now need to be fitted to the flywheel and the next step will be to make the flywheel collets and machine the matching tapers in the flywheels themselves

Cheers for now,
Rod

Offline Don1966

• Morgan City, LA (Along the Gulf Coast)
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
Real nice work Rod and love the use of your various tools. ...... :ThumbsUp:

Don :cheers:

Offline DavidLloyd

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2019, 12:48:17 AM »
Excellent Job Rod,

DavidLloyd