Author Topic: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy  (Read 3925 times)

Offline tangler

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 779
  • Christchurch, UK
Re: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2019, 09:53:18 AM »
My intention had been to use the Denford/Sherline mill to make the cam - it should be a simple profiling job.  Sadly the mill has not been playing ball.  I've been driving the mill from a laptop via a USB to serial converter which seems to lead to communication errors.  I'm currently in the process of  resurecting an old XP desktop which I had been hoarding because it has a parallel output which could be useful for  Mach 3.  It doesn't have a serial output so I'm waiting for Ebay to provide me with a PCI serial card.

Rod

Offline tangler

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 779
  • Christchurch, UK
Re: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2019, 06:20:32 PM »
Sorry for the delay, hassle with the CNC mill (still bust) and the acquisition of a sailing dinghy for playing in Christchurch harbour have distracted me.  Also, I've been hosting my pics on the Coppermine Lister forum.  Although this was a generous offer, you may have noticed that the resolution and image size is not great and the bulk upload feature seems to be arguing with Flash.  So, I'm now trying to use Flickr...

Fabrication of the governor mechanism continues.  This little assembly needs a pivot with 2 arms at right angles - one holds the ball and the other actuates the catch lever spool.  The pivot was drilled for 2 off 1/8"  holes



Jerry calls for the bits to be assembled with silver bearing soft solder.  I'm more comfortable with hard silver solder so here they are anointed with silver alloy brazing paste.  The steel supports were roughly turned down ( horrible sticky steel ) to a diameter to ensure that the arms were parallel to the base



They were then warmed up with a torch 'til the solder flowed



The outboard end of the balls have little brass mounts for the spring.  The drawing shows a plain shank to be Loctited in place.  I prefer a thread which will be screwed 8BA and Loctited in the correct orientation



Once threaded this was held in a little fixture that is just a hole threaded 8BA.  I have a few of these of various sizes made from Precision Ground Mild Steel so that they can be re-used in a collet chuck.  First chamfered



and the round end finished with a hand graver



The flats were then milled and the hole drilled using the toolpost miller



The pivot pins are 3/32" and I decided to retain these using 3mm E clips so the pins were grooved using my modified hacksaw parting/grooving tool from a Len Mason Design



These bits now need to be fitted to the flywheel and the next step will be to make the flywheel collets and machine the matching tapers in the flywheels themselves



Cheers for now,
Rod






Offline Don1966

  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6093
  • Morgan City, LA (Along the Gulf Coast)
Re: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
Real nice work Rod and love the use of your various tools. ...... :ThumbsUp:



Don :cheers:

Offline DavidLloyd

  • Jr. member
  • **
  • Posts: 2
Re: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2019, 12:48:17 AM »
Excellent Job Rod,

DavidLloyd

Offline Craig DeShong

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 616
  • Raleigh,NC. USA
    • Lauson small engines
Re: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2019, 01:35:43 PM »
Very nice Rod.  I've been silently following along.  Past time to comment.  I just love your work!
Craig

Offline Brian Rupnow

  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5454
  • Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2019, 01:09:13 AM »
Tangler--You are doing marvelous work. I am following.---Brian

Offline tangler

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 779
  • Christchurch, UK
Re: Tangler's Air Cooled Farm Boy
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2019, 06:30:10 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments chaps.  Sorry it's been so long.  DeltaTango came to visit and Sally and I had a holiday in Norfolk where we  took in the Forncett ME show and met up with a few more MEM guys.  I've taken my Denford/Sherline CNC mill to near Melton Mowbray to be converted to Mach 3.  The 3d printer has finally been persuaded to behave and I've managed to print some stands for my Pultra collets:



We now have a new desktop PC which was specced to deal with Fusion 360 and is really quite whizzy.  I've also done a little bit of organisation in the tool storage area:



Anyway, back to the Farm Boy.

The flywheels are located on  tapered collets.  I'm making these back to front so that I can leave the topslide at the same angle to cut a matching taper in the flywheel.  It will also make drilling the holes in the flange easier.





Another thing I've done recently is to make a simple direct indexer for the 60 tooth Myford bull wheel.  I wanted one that was quick to attach but still allowed the belt cover to sit properly.





Now it's very quick to mount the toolpost mill and index for 3 clearance holes and 2 threaded holes for extraction jacking screws



These still need to be slit but I want to wait until I've cut the tapers in the flywheels to the right size.  I used the collets as a Jig for drilling the location holes in the flywheel



The flywheels were mounted in the 4 jaw and roughly centered with a length of 3/8" pgms in the tailstock chuck



And then set up properly with a DTI



The taper in the flywheel was then turned so that the collet had a 25 thou allowance for tightening against the crankshaft.





That's all for now.

Rod