Author Topic: Elmer's 43 "Build" Questions  (Read 19340 times)

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
Re: Elmer's 43 "Build" Questions
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2021, 12:54:43 AM »
Thanks, Chris. You are correct. Everything helped. Plus I now have more experience. Oh, I neglected to say that I also re-made the crankshaft for a better fit to the bearing.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2021, 04:48:51 AM »
Hi Bear, good to hear that you have identified the worst problems.  It’s always good to be able to move forward.  Even if a little more refinement is eventually required.  You will get there, I am sure.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
Glad to hear that you've located the problems.  Besides getting the engine moving, this exercise has given you a good feel for how well things have to fit in order to work.

For the future, remember that a bit of soapy water brushed on joints/bearings/etc will quickly locate leaks. 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2021, 04:57:35 PM »
Thanks, MJM and Marv. It is in fact a relief to be able to move on now.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2021, 10:58:18 PM »
Finally finished the build; well, kind of. Still have some cosmetic work to do; but, most importantly, I need to get it to run. I did have it running for a little while. It did not run well, and required high air flow. Made adjustments to the eccentric and the valve with no ability to make it run. When it did run, it only ran in one direction, clockwise, with the "reverse lever" in the position where the handle was pointing away from the cylinder unlike the photos.

Tired of messing with it for now. Will try again later.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #185 on: July 28, 2021, 11:31:30 PM »
In an attempt to understand what may be wrong, I attempted to put my version of the engine in the same configuration as you show in your first picture.

It looks to me to be a problem with the orientation of the reversing slider.  Compare the angle of the channel in which the slider slides in your version versus mine.  Also note the angle of the cam follower-the part that drives the slider. 

As well, it appears that the slot in your reversing quadrant isn't as long as mine.  That may be part of the reason that the slidert channel doesn't angle as mine does.

Try to get your engine configured as mine shows and see if that works better for you.  You may have to remove the retaining screw from the reversing quadrant and clamp the quadrant into position to get the slider tilted as far as mine is.

Good luck and let us know if it helps.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2021, 12:37:39 AM »
Thank you, Marv. I see what you are saying; however, I do have more room to tilt the slider more. The problem I encounter when I tilt it more is that the sliding block locks up in the slider at one end or the other, making it impossible to function. I do appreciate you taking the time to troubleshoot my engine. Is it possible that my eccentric rod is too long causing the binding?

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #187 on: July 29, 2021, 01:19:44 AM »
Thinking the eccentric rod may be a little long per previous post, I tried moving the base of the column and the base of the cylinder away from each other by loosening he mounting screws for each pulling apart and tightening. There was some but little movement. It ran well then with very low air pressure. Nevertheless, there is still a significant problem in that it will only run with the reverse lever in the position shown in the photo below. Looking at the front of the engine (crankshaft side), the crankshaft spins in a clockwise direction. Actually, in the picture, you can tell that it was running when I took it.

The reverse lever is a bit rough as can be seen, and I had to make 2 arcs because the first one was too high. One I get it running right, I may make a cleaner looking one. I don't have a rotary table. Use a pin for the arc and roughing with the mill and some filing for the rest of it.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
Hi Bear, I am glad to see you still at it.  I was beginning to wonder where you were up to.

You did not say what you mean by the slider locking up at one end of the slider.  Is it possible that this is due to the valve rod or the valve reaching the end of the available travel.  May I suggest that you remove the steam chest cover, bolt the steam chest back in place and and see what is happening in there as you turn the crankshaft.  (You will soon see why studs and nuts are recommended for holding the steam chest in place.)

It seems to me that the eccentric rod is not too long if the connection to the valve rod does not hit the end of the valve chest.

If the end of the valve rod does not hit the outboard end of the steam chest, it may just be that the valve is not at the right place on the valve rod.  It’s worth observing whether the threaded section of the valve rod allows the valve to be adjusted to the right place when the slider is at the midpoint of its travel (and the lever set to the point where the valve travel is minimal and the valve should cover both steam ports).  May need to thread a bit more of the valve rod.  Or the valve rod could be too long, so it hits the outer end.

I am sure that you will have it working soon and be able to celebrate.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2021, 02:29:11 PM »
Thanks MJM. I appreciate your comments. Hope all is well with you.

I have checked the valve move moment without the cover plate. Maybe if I am more patient with the adjustment, I will get there. It does appear that possibly the length of the valve rod may be an issue.

As to the "locking", the sliding block is binding heavily at one end or the other of the travel in the guide, if the guide is tilted at too much of an angle.

Actually, I have been celebrating  :cheers: the fact that it runs very well with very little air pressure at the position of the tilt lever as shown in the photo. One of these days, I will figure out why it won't run out of the position, but I am for now leaning toward the theory that the rod (or something) may be slightly too long. But for now I will be pleased with it for what it is worth. It is very neat to see it operate  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal