Author Topic: Schaublin corner  (Read 5352 times)

Online sco

Schaublin corner
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »
I've been quiet for a while but I've not been idle - I've given my workshop a major re-work; the floor has been insulated along with the walls, more electrical sockets added and a new work bench constructed - it's still topsy turvy and I now struggle to find anything but it's almost finished.

I've also purchased a new mill - a nice companion to my 102VM, it's still early days and I haven't cut any metal with it yet but hopefully that will change soon.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Schaublin corner
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »
Improving the shop comfort can be a very important move  :ThumbsUp:

Adding a Schaublin Mill to the shop is a fantastic bonus too - so congrats all around  :cheers:

it's still topsy turvy and I now struggle to find anything but it's almost finished.

In this case, I'm sure you will adapt without too many complaints  ;)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 10:45:05 PM »
The new workbench and mill look great Simon. The topsy-turvy will sort itself out in time too no doubt.  Congrats on the upgrade to the shop!!

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »
Simon-

One word, envious.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 11:43:13 PM »
From models to instruments, you should be well “tooled” :cheers: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
Hey Simon

Very nice indeed! I am kind of in the same state - still working on my new shop. I guess I should post some pictures too somehwen in the next time - after mentioning it a couple times  ;D
I hope you geto to use it as soon as possible and wish you lots of fun with your new milling machine!

Florian

Online sco

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 04:34:58 PM »
Thanks guys! 

This week's job has been to strip, paint and re-assemble the rotary table that came with the mill, after a good clean-up I masked up the main body and applied a couple of coats of paint.  The table has some nice touches - there is a tiny grub-screw that acts as an adjustable stop so that you can quickly disengage and re-engage the worm without having to adjust it.  The underside of the table has twelve holes that a pin engages with for quick and simple dividing - the pin has a rack cut into it so that it can be raised and lowered by a lever, the lever has a sprung loaded brass plunger that bears on it to provide some friction.

Anyway it all went back together without drama although I suspect it would more useful to have a handle and graduated dial rather than the indexing plates so going to have a think about making something along those lines.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 04:44:15 PM »
That turned out great Simon. Very nice looking RT!!

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »
Don't you love these tools that have been hand scraped - like under the that table top, it shows quality  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online sco

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 05:38:14 PM »
Thanks Bill, and Jo yes the scraping is nice.

Most impressive to me was the axial fit of the worm spindle in the holder - there's just a lock nut that clamps the worm to the spindle with no adjustment possible.  There is zero axial clearance that I can measure yet it turns smooth as silk - we would never try to design something that required that level of accuracy where I work as the scrap rate would be enormous!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 03:05:56 AM »
Simon,
The shop looks great, it's always good to have a soft surface to stand on makes it so much easier on the feet. Nice looking mill and a great job cleaning up & repainting the rotary table.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 06:35:00 AM »
Thanks Bill, and Jo yes the scraping is nice.

Most impressive to me was the axial fit of the worm spindle in the holder - there's just a lock nut that clamps the worm to the spindle with no adjustment possible.  There is zero axial clearance that I can measure yet it turns smooth as silk - we would never try to design something that required that level of accuracy where I work as the scrap rate would be enormous!

Simon.

A very nice tool  :praise2:  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I believe that Schaublin tolerances were such that components were interchangeable between machines and would always maintain the stated accuracy.
Best regards

Roger

Online sco

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
Thanks Roger and Art.  Would be nice to know how Schaublin achieved this level of accuracy - I think you must either grind everything to a very finely toleranced 'size' and then just know everything will fit together or except some level of hand finishing to bring parts into close tolerance.

At work when we want a close axial fit we always use a selective fit shim system - maybe that's the modern way.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 01:55:01 PM »
This is the piece I had read on Schaublin manufacture:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/schaublin/page10.html

" This ease of conversion was achieved not by building complete machines in batches and then dismantling - but by concentrating on the accurate gauging of the sub-assemblies where limits of 0.001 mm were the norm."

Working normally to 1 micron, not bad  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Online sco

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 09:35:57 PM »
Started making a dial for the rotary table, never done any headstock dividing but rather than knurl the dial decided to use my Dremel style tool as a pseudo tool post grinder to cut axial grooves.  Used the 100 hole divisions and went round twice to cut the grooves, so 200 ops was pretty tedious but pleased with the result!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal