Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Hugh

Hi!
« on: May 01, 2019, 07:37:08 AM »
Thanks for adding me! I've been closely following Ramon's thread on the 5cc Tiger and figured it was about time to register.

I should begin by confessing that I've never scratch-built an engine in my life, though it's an ambition I've been harbouring for some time. My job as a university researcher/lecturer has had me moving around a lot (originally Australia, then France, now Denmark) and without the possibility for a proper workshop.

But that seems to have changed: my wife and I recently bought a house outside Copenhagen with a 40 sqm basement, which I quickly christened with a new-to-me Myford S7 and Trapani-Rosa drill. Now I'm slowly figuring out what else to put in there (a full-size drill, a bench grinder and a small mill would be nice) and how to organise everything. I have a number of queries on this and will shortly put a post in the "workshop" section.

Then, with some basic tools in place, it will be time to start putting them to use. Since I just spent the last 2 months teaching students how Sterling engines work, I figure that might be a good place to begin...

In any case, I'm looking forward to being part of the community.

Cheers,
Hugh
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:54:34 AM by Hugh »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:20:00 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: You will get plenty of support and suggestions for what to build  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 10:42:28 AM »
Hi Hugh, Welcome to the forum from your starting place.

I will be most interested to follow your Stirling engine build, so I hope you go that way.  I am fascinated by those engines but hesitating on selecting a suitable design for a first effort.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Hugh. Glad to have you join us.

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 01:25:59 PM »
Another welcome to the forum !  :ThumbsUp:

Offline jeff l

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 08:01:18 PM »
welcome to the forum  :ThumbsUp:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 05:56:02 AM »
Hi Hugh,
Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like your getting all set up.  Can't wait to see the shop tour when you're ready to post. :)
Kim

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 12:10:19 PM »
Welcome to the nut house Hugh. Hot air/ Stirling Engines are my way to go, and I follow all who attempt them with interest, they arn't noisy like IC motors, or messy like steam engines, any way I like designing and building my motors, hope you go well with your new workshop what ever you build.
Ian S C

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 11:55:38 PM »
Welcome to MEM Hugh!

Dave

Offline Hugh

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 03:11:13 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody!

I'm looking forward to putting up a bit of a report on the workshop planning & progress thus far, as well as a few other things.

But all that will have to wait until I get out of this windowless lab in Oxfordshire (i.e. next week).

Hugh

P.S. I can't help but find Stirling engines cool after seeing this: [youtube1]https://youtu.be/XdKSvEHX6Lg[/youtube1]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal