Author Topic: Young Castings  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Young Castings
« on: April 18, 2019, 12:33:03 AM »
I have  friend who acquired these castings.  "The Young" is cast into the side of the frame.  He has the frame, two flywheels, the head, and I think the journal caps.  Enough to make an engine.  Does anyone have any information on this engine/kit and maybe a set of drawings ?  Thanks.   
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Young Castings
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 12:41:15 AM »
Hi Craig

The text below comes from the Davis model engine page.
Hopefully this will help.

Dave

http://www.antiquengines.com/Dads_Scale_Models.htm
http://www.antiquengines.com/Davis_Model_Suppliers_List_.htm

The model on the far right was built from Ted Young model castings as advertised in Model Tec magazine and purchased from Ted Young. Dave Farmer did a building series of articles in the Model Tec magazine back several years ago. It is hit & miss design with sparkplug ignition, hopper cooled with 5-3/4" diameter. flywheels. It has a 1-1/4" bore x 1-7/8" stroke. It is a free lance design. Not of any particular known engine. 

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
I built a Young engine many years ago, I think it was my first project form a casting kit. I bought the kit from someone at an engine show, not from Young. I probably still have the plans in my file drawer. I recall they were large sheets and several pages.

I had a lot of trouble getting the valves tight, but that was a problem of my inexperience not a fault of the design. I was thinking the other day of dragging the engine out and seeing if I can get it to run better now. It has been under my bench many years now.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:58:34 PM »
Thanks for your response, both Dave and Ron.  I've given him the information on the Davis model engine page.

If that doesn't pan out maybe I'll be asking if Ron can scan the drawings in some manner.

The story is that a a dear friend of ours has passed and he had several casting sets.  He seems to have removed the drawings from the castings and stored them... somewhere ???  We've looked high and low for them and have come up dry.  Several of us have bought the castings from his estate but we were hesitant on these young castings.  We're trying to find some drawings so that the castings can be turned into a completed engine.  It would be such a shame to scrap them.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »
Just FYI, my friend called Fred Manson and has arranged to purchase a set of plans for $100.  Looks like these castings will get use after all. Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it and Gordon does too.
Craig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal