Author Topic: Trying to solder A frames for Vulcan Beam engine, now the gas won't light  (Read 1397 times)

Offline geoff5269

I have spent weeks trying to scratch build these Parts for the Vulcan and i am making it at 80% of the original .  I was a wary of having to solder so many pieces at the same time that i bought a new gas canister as the old one was running low and i didn't want it to run out half way though. When i came to use the new larger can it wouldn't light with the igniter or matches, when i put the old one back it worked straight away, Any ideas wot's wrong?
Hears a pic of my effort so far, I thought if i could build the A frames i could build the rest but it does take time to convert the drawings to Metric and then reduce the size.
Geoff

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Trying to solder A frames for Vulcan Beam engine, now the gas won't light
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 05:06:09 PM »
Hi Geoff,

I don't know what the issue is with the torch, but for the soldering would it be possible for you to drill small holes for pins or screws to hold the parts in position during the soldering? A small brass pin or two in each part would prevent them from sliding around and can be filed off flush afterwards.

Chris.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 05:33:54 PM »
I'm guessing the gas pressure. Try this:

Close the valve, open it slightly, now cover a couple of the air holes at the back of the nossel while you try lighting it. Uncover the air holes slowly and hopefully it will stay on  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »
If you clearly hear the hiss of the butane coming out, too much gas pressure in the new canister I would say...it blows the flame, a gas lighter will do it.
try to open very lightly the gas when pushing the button of the piezo lighter.
If no gas is coming out, the valve is not opened on screwing the burner, try to screw further.
The Vulcan is a beautiful engine that I did ages ago, and that I still show at the live steam meetings

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 06:28:50 PM »
it's also easier to light a warm torch so run a bit of the old gas through it then swap to the new before it cools. Blocking a couple of the air holes will also help as you get a softer flame that won't blow itself out, you can just put finger and thumb on them or a bit of tape.

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 11:14:22 AM »
Well i tried this and it works, i'm so pleased to be able to carry on with this project.  Many thanks to Jo  Zephyrin and Jason for your advice, it's such a comfort to know there's someone to ask when your stuck. I've never liked soldering much but i must get to grips with it.
Geoff

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal