Author Topic: Alyn Foundry Sphinx  (Read 17257 times)

Offline RayW

Re: Alyn Foundry Sphinx
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2019, 01:39:13 PM »
Yes, I realised afterwards that that was not the most interesting side. Will do another video to show the other side.
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2019, 01:46:28 PM »
Well done Ray!!

I will wait until you've painted it to see the " business " end in action.

Thanks for the telephone call yesterday evening, it was nice to reminisce on our former rally days and our little chat about Stuart IC engines. Thanks for the pictures too.

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »
Specially for Jason, here's the "interesting side"!! Just a short video as things were getting a bit hot, as evidenced by the wisps of smoke from the cylinder head!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Y_BEEOM6A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Y_BEEOM6A</a>
Ray

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2019, 04:16:47 PM »
That's a nice star wheel you have there and good to see it in action ;)

I suppose the engine can only be throttle governed or did Graham mention that someone fitted a governor?

It's got me wanting to do a bit on mine, I have some cutters to evaluate for a supplier and some "Challenging" castings would be a good test for them :LittleDevil:

Offline RayW

« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »
Yes, Jason, the star wheel is definitely the best part of the engine. I seem to remember Graham mentioning that someone had fitted some sort of governor but I don't have any details. Perhaps Graham can elaborate.
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2019, 07:32:24 PM »
Hi Both.

As I recounted in " the partnership that wasn't " ( Facebook group ) story the commissioned Sphinx was to be a twin flywheel engine running on Petrol.

After I had built the engine we tried a run using a similar carburettor to that of the R.L.E. with near disastrous consequences. The engine fired almost immediately then proceeded to accelerate towards destruction speed. I remember we'd sat it on a corner of a trailer, it damn near took off!!

I then spent several days scaling a " hit and miss " system that was fitted to my little American made Bull Pup engine. This worked very well.

By using gas as a fuel the speed is much easier to control and I'm pretty sure that your engine will run much slower once she's bedded in Ray.

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2019, 11:58:09 AM »
Hi Graham,
The speed was quite controllable just by varying the gas pressure, but I will eventually fit a needle valve in the gas line to give me better control. I have a spare valve like the one that I fitted to the Robinson X Type and I will modify the needle in the same way.

Ray

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2019, 01:21:36 PM »
A very steady runner  :praise2: I do like the starwheel  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline RayW

« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2019, 03:53:41 PM »
I have made a start on stripping down the engine and preparing for painting. As the body casting was such a rough texture, I took off the worst parts with a sanding disc, then used car body filler to get a nice smooth surface before giving it several coats of primer. Normally, I like to retain some of the cast iron texture, but, in this instance, it was just too rough.
In dismantling the cylinder head from the water jacket/cylinder, I had two small mishaps. Firstly, when building the engine, one of the cylinder head nuts did not seem to tighten very well and I had a horrible feeling that the stud might be pulling out of the water jacket. Sure enough, when I took things apart, that was exactly what had happened. Fortunately, I was able to drill out the hole deeper through the brass ring and into the cast iron of the water jacket and make up a longer stud.
The other little problem/mishap was that the cylinder head casting, complete with spark plug, fell off the bench onto the floor and broke the plug insulator in half. Superglue came the the rescue and the plug still seems to be working fine, but I will get a spare just in case.
All I have to do now is decide what colour to paint the engine.
Ray

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2019, 04:10:52 PM »
Egyptian Blue would seem appropriate.

Offline RayW

« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2019, 04:09:58 PM »
I was getting on well with the painting process until last weekend, when a sudden medical crisis in the middle of the night saw me making an emergency visit to my doctor, who immediately referred me to the local hospital from which I have just emerged four days later. Still have to undergo further rather unpleasant investigations, but hoping to get back in the workshop very soon.
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »
Both Jules and I wish you a speedy recovery Ray.

Look after yourself, Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2019, 04:26:26 PM »
Thanks Graham
Regards
Ray
Ray

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »
Get well soon Ray - though Hospitals are great for emergencies - you do really not want to spend too much time there .... Best wishes

Per

Offline RayW

« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2019, 05:44:01 PM »
Thank you Per. I am already feeling much better and getting back to normal. Soon be back at the workbench. At least I am doing better than my neighbour. While I was having my problem, he accidentally locked his car keys and his dog in his car while out for a walk. He walked home to get his spare car keys and, on the way back to the car, he fell over breaking several ribs and his cheek bone in two places!

Regards

Ray

Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal