Author Topic: Jack's Model Vise  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Jack

Jack's Model Vise
« on: June 26, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »
Hello Everyone

Since I am stuck in the house/shop I thought I might as well spend my time doing something constructive so I bought the Morrisson & Marvin Modelers Vise.

With a lot of help from some very nice and helpful people on this forum it went well with a couple of minor blunders that no will ever see,
I would like to present my vise as it turned out and as they say "Its good enough for the girls that I go with" and I am kind of proud of it.

I went to the junk yard to get something that I could turn int a base for after looking for awhile I found a hunk of something heavy so I returned home and made this base which I will engrave with my name and date so when some buys it at the estate sale when I am gone, they will know who made it and when.

It can now take its place along side my other engines, both steam and gas along with many other projects that I have built over the years

Thanks
Jack, Alive and well in St. Louis, MO

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Jack's Model Vise
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 05:13:05 PM »
Hi Jack

The M&M vise looks great!
You did a very nice job on it.

Dave

Offline Jack

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 05:21:31 PM »
Hi Dave

Thank You

I didn't heat treat the jaws because it would kinda be a crap shoot for me but I did dip them in black oxide solution, I like that look. I even fired up my home grown CNC mill to produce the little clamp under the base that no one will ever see but I know its there.

This afternoon I put the finishing touches on my vise project by engraving my name and date on the base.

A nice little fun project, didn't take too long to make but at least I am now the proud owner of a couple of new reamers and a six pack of 1-72 taps thanks to McMaster-Carr, I just love those guys.

Jack
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:51:10 PM by Jack »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 10:16:46 PM »
Looks great!!

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 09:47:26 PM »
Nice job, I am sure it will fit right in with your other models. They might even be a bit jealous!

I like yor base with the name and date.

Bob

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 12:02:19 AM »
That's a beautiful vise.  :ThumbsUp:
I'm curious to know how you did the base with name and date.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jack

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 02:41:58 AM »
Hi Zee

The engraving was produced with the engraving feature of Dolphin Cad on my CNC mill operating on Mach 3. When I bought my Bridgeport mill, I converted my Grizzly G0731 8" x 30" knee mill to CNC and then I bought Dolphin Cad-Cam to draw and cut all of my little irregular shaped parts. I only use the full size Bridgeport for my conventional milling of parts that I make.

I have other photos and video if anyone is interested. :)

Jack
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:50:42 AM by Jack »

Offline samc88

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 01:52:52 PM »
That looks great

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal