Author Topic: D51-200 Tender Locomotive 2-8-2  (Read 26857 times)

Offline kvom

Re: D51-200 Tender Locomotive 2-8-2
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »
The cooling coils are to condense water out of the air before it enters the reservoir.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2019, 08:26:39 PM »
The cooling coils are to condense water out of the air before it enters the reservoir.
How is the water extracted? Wouldn't it just fill the pipe then flow into the resevoir?

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Pack 6
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2019, 08:29:37 PM »
Hi Chris,

Malybe someone will enlighten us. There is another one as well on the other side below the running boards. It's connected to a pump.

The front deck was completed March 20 and has been waiting patiently to be put in place. This happened with the completion of Pack 6.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2019, 11:06:49 PM »
John, your friend John V will likely know if you email him a pic.

Cheers

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2019, 01:10:58 AM »
Hi John,
 Stunning build! The detail is going to make her a very nice model.
On the compressor pipe work front, yep the water will end up in the tank, guessing in full size that it will have an automatic dump water trap, as per your home compressor, or the engineer would drain it on his regular round at each stop.

Cheers Kerrin

PS, can’t wait to see the diorama you build for this one!
Get excited and make something!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Art of Deception
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2019, 03:55:47 PM »
Hi Kerrin,
Unfortunately, there won't be a diorama for this one.  :'(
It is a model that can stand on its own in a glass case.
There is a diorama waiting for a Lincoln engine though, as you know.

I have been shown a model D51 made in Japan that makes the model I'm building here pale by comparison. However, lots of details are included with this one.

There is a trick I've seen and used before regarding attaching valves and other in-line pipe devices that look like they are in-line but are not. They simply clamp onto the pipe from the front. There is a rounded groove cut into the backside of them allowing this.  Cheating? Well maybe, but effective.

Here is a filter and a fire hydrant attached in this manner. Sorry, the fiter is out of focus.. :-\

P.S. It looks as though I got carried away with the glue around the bleed valve. The camera doesn't miss much.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:00:53 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Cab
« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2019, 10:17:46 PM »
The cab looks as though it is almost a done deal when you see it in its styrene plastic container. But there are two instruction booklets dedicated to its construction.

Details really make a difference. Here we see trim around the windows as an example of this.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
LED's in the Firebox
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2019, 10:38:41 AM »
I distinctly remember the day a close friend visited my shop and suggested I put a little red light in the firebox of the Lancaster boiler built into the Texxtile Mill diorama.

Well guess what? The designers of this D51 kit have done just that with two LED's.

Should be interesting.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2019, 03:01:48 PM »
They certainly have thought of everything John...nice to see when things are so well done by suppliers. I did recall you saying there was just a display care for this one, but an engine maintenance shed sure would have lots of possibilities as well.....just saying :)

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
You've got a good point Bill. Yes, a bank of mullioned windows behind; a sloping roof up towards us showing the beamwork and roof planking and large open doors swung back at both ends of the diorama,.

Alas this model is designed to be run by the operator. Swithces and electronics will add to the overall effect once the cover has been removed.

But I do see the possibilities you are suggesting.

This will be the first model I have not placed in a diorama setting. My wife would like to see it in its case on top of the server in our family room (upstairs).  ;D

The cab continues. I like the little eaves placed over the sliding windows.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:57:31 PM by J.L. »

Online sco

« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:55 PM »
John what do you mean when you say it is designed to be run by the operator - is it fitted with an electric motor?

Enjoying following the build immensely,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2019, 10:00:03 PM »
Hi John, if you should want to make the firebox LED's flicker, for more realism, there is a company in the USA called Circuitron, who offer an "arc welder" circuit. This circuit makes a very realistic arc flash / flicker effect with white LED's. It's intended to be used to detail industrial shop scenes on model railways of any scale. If you used such a circuit to drive one red LED as is and one white LED painted with orange model paint, it would give a very realistic coal fire colour and flicker. Just an idea. Your build of the D-51 is going great!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »
Hi Simon. Thanks.
Yes, this engine will run in place by means of a a DC motor and worm gear.

Hi cnr (?)
Yes, I thought a flicker light would be nice as well. However, we do not know what the onboard computer has in store for us yet. Maybe it will osculate the voltage and give us that effect. Time will tell.

John

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2019, 11:11:12 PM »
Maybe it will osculate the voltage and give us that effect.

I know its mathematical meaning and its amatory one but neither seems to fit here.  Is this the product of an autocorrector?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »
Hi Marv,
Sorry about that.

Typo.

I meant to type oscillate! Senior moment.

Now that the floor of the engine has to be installed. I wanted to be able to turn the model over without bending or damaging a pipe of breaking off a part. So the cradle was altered to rest the boiler section safely upside down.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal