Author Topic: D51-200 Tender Locomotive 2-8-2  (Read 26834 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: D51-200 Tender Locomotive
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 02:13:28 PM »
Yes fellows, the care given to the packaging and documentation speaks volumes about the quality of this product.

Some fellows like a brass engine. I am not one of them. This means more time has to be spent planning assembly and waiting 24 hours for a primer to dry.

Serious assembly begins with the smokebox and smokebox door with operating hinges. The brass tube was overrolled so that when it was pulled back to a circle, its seam snapped tight around the boiler ring.  :ThumbsUp:

I made a jig so that I could rotate the tube as it was being primed. The first coat was applied last night; the second 'dry to the touch flat finish'  was photographed this morning.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:31:10 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Priming and Painting
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »
I can question only one thing about the sequential instructions for this project. I jumped the gun and went to the last booklet of instructions. Book twelve raised the option of leaving the engine brass or painting it. The very last booklet!

Instructions were given to spray a little bit of paint into the cap of the spray can and use a very tiny brush to get at parts difficult to access with the spray paint.

I take issue with this. In my view every part should be carefully thought out, primed and painted as the construction progresses. That approach will be used as the engines develops.

This probably doubles the assembly time, but isn't this a hobby where time on the project is fun and enjoyable?

Just my thoughts.  :old:

John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 01:16:38 AM »
Sounds reasonable to me John. Good that you looked ahead, though I guess that was of no help really. I like your way better.

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Spark Arrester
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 02:58:15 PM »
While the primer is drying on the chimney, I have assembled its spark arrester. It is made of 5 pieces and has a cone shaped brass mesh and a smaller mesh section below. They are soft soldered.

This attention to detail is impressive. It's one of those parts that nobody sees, but the builder has fun making them and knowing they are there.  :D

In this case, the smokedoor can be opened to see it, but in reality, who is going to do that when the model is finished and sitting proudly in its display case?

It will probably be painted an ash grey.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:52:23 PM by J.L. »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »
What a beautiful part and as you say - it won't be seen  :praise2:

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 08:58:56 PM »
Yes, a beautiful part.

I have changed my primer. After consulting with an expert, I went back to an etching primer that has a better potential of grabbing the brass. Apparently even so, brass will eventually eat its way out through anything you attempt to put on it. It's just the nature of the metal - it gives something off from within itself.

On to some other interesting parts. I am holding a pre-drilled ball shaped brass stanchion. Very nice. Handrails already rolled to the correct curve fit into those holes.

This smokebox is almost ready for a second coat of primer. 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:08:12 PM by J.L. »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 09:50:06 PM »
Coming along well John. Fun to watch as well.

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 09:13:39 PM »
Thanks Bill.

The smokebox is developing nicely. Some. parts such as the nameplate, light lens, door locking wheel handle and locking lever can not be applied to the model until after it is painted. It's kind of frustrating, beause you want to see what things will look like now!

The light diode is in place behind the masking tape. It could be months before I test it to see that it works. I have read that some fellows have had some difficulties with the electrics.

Time will tell.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Lens
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 09:27:20 PM »
Speaking of that lens. It is not simply a flat piece of plastic. It is made of plastic, but it is striated and has radii like a real lens. It looks as though the center section with a different radius may focus the light as an actual lens of this sort would do.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 12:07:57 AM »
They have certainly paid a lot of attention to details John. The lens is a great example of that.

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 11:55:23 AM »
Hi Bill,
Agreed.
The only bit of machining I have had to do on the first stage of this build is drill oil holes in the oil boxes on the coupling rods. On the real engine, I would think there would either be an oil cup (capped)  or a grease fitting attached there.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:14:02 PM by J.L. »

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Pack 1
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 12:00:22 PM »
This concludes stages 1-8 of Pack 1.
Completed (almost) are:
The smokebox, chimney, feedwater system, first drive wheels with coupling rods and the front deck with its maintenance hatch and lamp hooks.

I do not understand the function of the release lever.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:14:20 PM by J.L. »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2019, 01:14:46 PM »
Do you mean the lever on the pilot beam? If so the lever lifts the pin on the Janney style coupler, to allow the laws of it to open and uncouple the cars.

Great job on the assembly so far! Looks like a beautiful kit.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Steps
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 04:44:31 PM »
Thanks, but I'm not sure we are talking about the same bar. In the photos a light steel rod with a handle in the middle has two hooks on each side. Surely they do not fasten cars together?  :o

Pack two begins with steps on the front and at the sides of the front deck. By comparison, the third photo of an American engine shows elaborate steps and raiings. But on the Japanese  D51, simple steps suffice. The lower steps are actually set into the inspection doors.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »
I think CNR is correct, it would lift the pin in the coupler, releasing it. The rod itselft does not take any strain, its just a control lever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janney_coupler#/media/File:Train_coupling.jpg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal