Author Topic: BCA Mklll query  (Read 2501 times)

Offline astroud

BCA Mklll query
« on: April 19, 2019, 05:36:16 PM »
Hi any BCA users

I have BCA Mklll and wondered why there is a hole through the table. At the bottom there is a female thread, 3/8 BSW as far as I can determine and it does not rotate with the table.
Were there any accessories available which made use of the hole or thread or is it just there for the user to make use of as may be needed to hold or position  work on the table.
I would be interested in seeing any fixtures or tools that make use of the hole. I can see a collet would be useful.

I also worry about swarf going down the hole and causing problems, is this an unnecessary worry ?

thanks  Andrew 

Offline Rod999

Re: BCA Mklll query
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »
I think the thread does go round with the table, and I saw a photo of a "center point" of about 3/4 inch, which may have been screwed into said hole, as it was sitting in the center. However, I was thinking about asking the same question, as many fixtures I see, I would have never thought of myself!!
                       Rod

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 06:04:53 PM »
The hole is for centring the table under the spindle and things on the table.

I have never felt the need to use the thread in the bottom of the hole I normally use collets in the hole. For flat table use I have a plug that fits level with the surface with a grubscrew in the middle so I can fish it out again.

When I drop something down the hole  :facepalm2: I use one of those long flexible grabby things with four fingers to recover it.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline astroud

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 11:52:53 AM »
Thanks.
I have just checked and Rod is correct the threaded hole does go round with the table, thinking about it it would make no sense if it did not.

Andrew

Offline Rod999

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 04:58:55 PM »
There is also a brass bushing below the thread - wonder what that's for - or would like to see what BCA made for it~ I just got my Mk III  and when I have time am getting it set up, tooled etc. I see two BCA boring heads on eBay, but have an Infinity boring head by Ramsey tool that I'm making a shank for~

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:03:14 PM »

I use one of those long flexible grabby things with four fingers

You mean a hand?

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 07:31:07 AM »
Its not what I call it.

Jo

P.S. How's work? I can recommend retirement   >:D
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 10:39:38 AM »
P.S. How's work?

Still helping with the white dragon defences north of The Wall. Crossed the 500,000 marriott point threshold last week, still going strong. The bulb in the light at the end of the tunnel has been removed to save the ozone layer (or something).

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal