Supporting > Boilers

FTT-12 safety valve?

(1/5) > >>

Jack3m:
My plans call for two "FTT 12" safety valves.  Cannot find anything about them.  System is supposed to be 100 PSI operating pressure, no advice on what pressure signifies opening of safety valve.  Supposed to pressure test this boiler to 250 PSI.  For reference this is the Harris Steam Donkey,

Jo:
Bill Harris' book on page 128 says that all the castings, accessories are available from Power Model Supply Company. My guess is that FTT 12 is the part number of one of the ones they sell.

Looking at page 173 which shows the safety manifold it shows two threaded holes 3/8" * 32, spaced at 5/8". Any standard safety valve design would do but watch the size of the base hex as they are close together.

Jo

derekwarner:
Jack....irrespective of the steam relief valve manufacturers design, such valves when used in model applications are covered by your Boiler Codes

Some Countries have far more rigorous design regulations, it would help if you registered your Country & region in your on-line profile

Simply, if your system is rated or recommended to operate at 100 PSI, depending on the Code...the relief valve must be rated for this value
By convention, with a twin steam relief valve installation, one valve is set at marginally lower that the other

This may sound complicated but simply means that the relief valve/s operates and limits the plant or system to less that the specified pressure

You have suggested that the boiler be tested to 2.5 x times the working pressure [this is a once only design test pressure test]

It would not be uncommon to remove standard system pressure gauge when the 2.5 WP [cold water hydro-static] test is completed

Your local model steam group will have a Boiler Inspector who will be able to confirm actual requirements for your locality /region etc  & the best person to start with

Derek

Jack3m:
Interresting.  I contacted my State authority and got no response.  I think from what I read it is too small to be required to be inspected or registered.

As far as PMC, the safety valves are not that number and are only good to 60 psi. 

Lastly, I am not a club person.  I avoid that stuff like the plague

derekwarner:
Well thats good Jack.....if you consider Clubs, Boiler Inspectors and Codes to be like the plague, :Jester: then you have answered your own question .....    :rant:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version