Author Topic: Twin Oscillators  (Read 13602 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Twin Oscillators
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2019, 07:12:57 AM »
Nice engine Steve  :) I wonder when the Blackgates model first came on the market, it must have been years ago if you did it when you were at school  :mischief:

As for the next model there are many possibilities: The two orphaned Seals look interesting, as does the Halls Rotary and the Double Diagonal but it could all change between now and the end of the last box of Snicker's  ::)

Jo

P.S. I seem to recall booking the Wizard into display at the Guildford show   :thinking:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »
The two cylinders still need to have their cladding added. I didn't like the spacing of 1.6mm from the edge of the Ali as I feared it would break through so moved mine to 2mm from the port edge. The piece of post-it used to measure the length of the cladding were stuck on one side and some magic tape on the other to protect the face of the Ali, before using the jaws of the vice to support the Ali while it was first sawn then filed to length. While still flat the holes were drilled 2.1mm for the 7BA tapping size.

The Ali was easily bent round a piece of 18mm steel to form the curve, then the two ends bent back by hand using a pair of parallel pliers. This cladding was then used as the drilling jig to mark then drill the cylinders for the cladding. The cylinders were tapped 7BA and the holes in the cladding opened up to 2.5mm (7BA clearance) using a Watchmaker's broach.

With the cladding in place it was then necessary to give the two cylinder ends a rub on some emery paper to make sure the cladding did not prevent the cylinder covers from sitting flat.

It is time for final assembly and we can see if it runs  :)

Jo

P.S. I have already spotted two bits still to do  ::)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »
The two bits turned in to three bits  :ShakeHead:

First the spindle for the reverser had to have its length reduced by 7mm so that it stuck out the same distance as the two studs that mount the cylinders.

Then there was the 4mm diameter pin that goes beneath the reverser that stops it moving too far.

While I was at it I faced the reverser.

The final bit of fettling was the piston rod big ends  so that they do not jam.

The engine is together so all it needs is some air  :pinkelephant: And then maybe some paint  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2019, 02:06:26 PM »

The engine is together so all it needs is some air  :pinkelephant: And then maybe some paint  :noidea:

Jo

Nah. Bead blasting then some Rustin's Brass lacquer.  :D

Looks very nice though  :praise2:

Dave

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2019, 09:24:05 PM »
Hi Jo,
It's much easier to paint the engine as you would have to dismantle and mask off the port faces, I use Humbrol  dark green rather than the Stuart green which needs several undercoats and top coats, never seen a full size steam engine in a brass finish.
I suppose it's all matter of taste.

George.
Your never too old to learn.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2019, 10:32:35 PM »
It looks nice as is  :ThumbsUp: and it will look more like a full size if painted .... there are a few that springs to mind : Green (as more or less suggested), black (maybe a bit boring), red, blue, brown and grey - if we are talking classic old style.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2019, 07:35:11 AM »
Almost there  :)  :)  :wine1: That's a fine collection of castings that Sursus is minding for you  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2019, 08:15:33 AM »
Thanks Guys, looks like Green is the colour  ;)

That's a fine collection of castings that Surus is minding for you  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

That's part of the small Aero engine department, some of those boxes have over half a dozen crankcase castings in them :mischief:

While Surus is sleeping off his Snickers  :paranoia: a quick pic of the extent of the small Aero engine department and the remnants of last night's engine fondling  ::)

Jo
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 08:45:44 AM by Jo »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »
We have gone go faster green  :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQKdF90fmDQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQKdF90fmDQ</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIsktnMvh7Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIsktnMvh7Q</a>

So which of the two kits is better  :thinking: The Stuart is an easy build but the Blackgates one is half the price and bigger  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2019, 01:28:16 PM »
That's a nice result Jo - on both of them and nice runners too  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2019, 03:05:17 PM »
Good runners  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:  Were you blowing down the tube  :stir:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
Well done on both counts Jo. Very nice looking twins...you should be very pleased with both!!

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2019, 06:50:33 PM »
Thanks Guys  :)

We are pleased with both of them. I can recommend them as nice beginners engines.

It looks like I will be allowed the casting sets that are currently sitting on the Dining room table in exchange for these two  :embarassed:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2019, 07:34:23 PM »
Turned out nicely Jo. Just take it easy for the rest of the day - painting and running an engine all in one day may be overdoing things ;)

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2019, 09:25:35 PM »
Thanks Guys  :)

We are pleased with both of them. I can recommend them as nice beginners engines.

It looks like I will be allowed the casting sets that are currently sitting on the Dining room table in exchange for these two  :embarassed:

Jo

Jo

Do you ever run your engines on Steam ?

George.
Your never too old to learn.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal