Author Topic: Twin Oscillators  (Read 13562 times)

Offline K.B.C

Re: Twin Oscillators
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 06:00:41 PM »
"PLAGIARISM  indeed cries the offended, my lawyers will be after you in the morning."

Just glad that my idea was worth copying, I must confess that there has been many ideas on this forum that I have found to be of great help and that members freely give there ideas and methods of machining to this old self taught machinist who struggles on many occasions so thanks to all ( too many to mention )

I should have suggested to you that you drilled the base fixing holes before brazing up the steam pipes as it's a bit difficult to grip the casting once tubed up.

George.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:11:42 PM by K.B.C »
Your never too old to learn.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
Nice work Jo and the"plagiarism" (inspired by George) looks fantastic  :cheers:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »
Thanks Guys,

Having passed the Blackgates engine over for inspection to Surus he has let me remove the anti fondling wrapper from the Stuart's twin Oscillator. I was intrigued by the two large pieces of bronze until I realised that they are for the cylinder covers and it needs to be bronze as this engine does not have packing glands.

The installation of the anti fondling wrapper had melted the plastic bag with the fixings  :facepalm: Having decanted the items out into a small plastic box I was pleased to see they have provided real studs  8)

Time to finish off the Blackgates engine  :paranoia:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2019, 02:54:53 PM »
Looks like a nice set of fixings Jo. You will miss making the studs though  ;)

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2019, 08:10:05 PM »
That looks to be a nicely put together kit  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2019, 05:10:44 PM »
Its still a bit tight as it won't always automatically reverse : 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziwzJ5xzAio" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziwzJ5xzAio</a>

but I think it might be acceptable as an exchange for the Stuart Oscillator castings   :wine1:

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 09:04:17 PM »
I think that you got a great result as long as you do not put it into a RC boat  ;)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 09:47:55 PM »
Thanks Per  :) She was happily reversing without needing any encouragement every time I didn't have the camera in my hands  :headscratch:

I plan to take her back to my supplier on Wednesday to show him what he could have made  ::)

Jo

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 12:23:57 PM »
Thanks Per  :) She was happily reversing without needing any encouragement every time I didn't have the camera in my hands  :headscratch:

I plan to take her back to my supplier on Wednesday to show him what he could have made  ::)

Jo

Jo.
If you look at your No 29 post you have drilled and tapped thro' the steam and exhaust ports  and the top and bottom holes are so much smaller , could your problem be that the kidney type rotary valve is connecting with the bigger hole and the smaller hole when it should not.

Look at your drawing of the Stuart Oscillator and you will see that the 4- holes should be 5/64" dia., this may be your problem.

Sketch from my note book.

George
Your never too old to learn.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »
Thanks George,

I don't see it as a problem it just needs running in  ;)

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »
Quite a nice result Jo. I hope Surus is pleased enough to let you move on to some of his other castings :)

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2019, 03:37:28 PM »
Thanks Bill  :)

I have been allowed the Stuart castings in exchange but it is gardening time of the year and I am currently planting laying just over 250 concrete blocks  :facepalm: In a day or two I hope to get the courgettes out of the greenhouse before they totally take over.  So please don't hold your breath waiting for me to start it.

Who was it who told me I would have plenty of time once I was retired  :noidea:

Jo

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2019, 04:06:20 PM »
The usual comment is that you are so busy after you retired that you wonder how you ever had time to go to w*rk!

Great job on this engine, looking forward to the next!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2019, 04:13:55 PM »
Thanks Chris  :)

Having looked at the length of the cylinder casting  extrusion and compared it with the drawing I was concerned that something was wrong  :thinking: But having checked the throw of the crankshaft the 19mm length is correct.

The Stuart cylinders can be held in a three jaw just like the Blackgates one can  :ThumbsUp: This makes it easy to hold for both facing the end and boring. Don't expect it to run 100% true if you turn it over end for end and face the other end. As the cylinder is bronze the boring operation leaves a nasty sharp edge on the far end which can quickly be removed by a gentle rub on some fine emery paper.

The cylinder covers have to come out of two equally long pieces of bronze but I notice that the top cover drawing is trying to confuse as the side view shows a 0.8mm step on both sides but the face on view omits this.

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2019, 04:24:17 PM »
Coming along well Jo, When you go to show it off to your supplier could you enquire how his No1 is going or not?
J

PS your 12.7mm dimension is suspect ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal