Engines > From Kits/Castings

Twin Oscillators

(1/19) > >>

Jo:
In the UK there are a number of suppliers of casting sets for Twin Oscillators. In Surus' collection he had acquired a Stuart Twin Oscillator at vast expense :ShakeHead: on my part for him at the midlands Show:

To enable me to have an engine to make this week I managed to purchase a set of Blackgate Castings for their Twin Oscillator:

If you buy these new the Stuart's set works out at £115 and the Blackgate one £62.50, the Blackgate engine is actually bigger than the Stuart one  :)

As expected both sets of castings came with legacy imperialistic drawings  :disappointed: so first they need to be converted into metric. While the drawing that came from Stuarts is very nice and clear the copying of the Blackgates drawing has degraded through poor photocopying (sample of drawing attached) :ShakeHead:

As with all legacy drawings my first job is to part them out into individual part jpegs, clean up the drawing of each part and lay them out on A4 sheets. They can then be printed out and ISO Metric measurements added - I normally do these in red pen. The drawings are then rescanned and individual pages can be printed off to take out into the workshop as required  :wine1:

Jo

Jasonb:
Jo is the Barstock included in the Blackgates price or have you added that to the photo? Also what material is the flywheel as it does not look like iron or steel?

It's about time you got the little fellow to make some of his own rather than just hoarding them away :)

crueby:
Yeah,. get him a Sherline, he can reach the cranks on those...

Jo:
Both kits come with all of the required bar stock JB. The Blackgates flywheel is BMS, the Stuart's one looks to be disc of brass :thinking:

I think Surus is still a bit young to be let loose on a Lathe  :o

Jo

P.S. He has Little C (ME Cowells) in the same room as his casting collection but has not shown it any interest  ::)

Jasonb:
That's a good buy then compared with the Stuart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version