Author Topic: AOG's version of the PM -3A engine  (Read 8474 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: AOG's version of the PM -3A engine
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 05:04:27 AM »
I thought about doing a video but decided against it. If I took a video i knew that I would have put it on the shelf and never looked at it again. Since there is no video the project isn't over so I can try to stay motivated for the part that I hate (painting).

Tony

I "resemble" that remark Tony!  :naughty: My PMR #2 is running, video'd, and sitting on the shelf. I'll get around to painting it soon............. maybe!  ;)

Glad to hear you got a runner. You made quick work of it.

What's next? Well other than painting this one.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline AOG

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 09:20:48 PM »
I got it torn down, prepped, degreased and in primer. I will sand it and put on the first coat in the morning. My next project will be an Elmer's engine. Specifically I will be making his number 50 "the educational model". I'll probably get started on it while I'm waiting for the paint to dry.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 06:51:03 PM »
I completed the painting and mounted the engine on a wooden plaque I got from Michaels (a chain of arts and crafts stores). Unfortunately I just don't like the way it runs. The thing leaks air badly. It won't run on less than 30 lbs of air. I'm going to remake the piston valve and see if that helps.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
That did the trick. I measured the original valve and I was within a thousand of the print value. Then I measured the hole and it was almost 6 thousandths oversized. I think I need to go have look at that reamer. I made a new valve to the correct dimensions and it sealed much better. It's a piston valve so it's going to leak some but I can live with the current state of affairs. Final pics and a video are in the showcase.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6730.msg137710/topicseen.html#new

Now I can go concentrate on my Elmer's engine.

Tony

Offline bwal

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2019, 08:30:19 AM »
Hi,

Is there anyway I can "save" this thread for ease of finding it in the future? I'm about to start on a new project and going off my last project it'll probably take me two years! And I'd like to use this thread as a reference.

If not, at least by re-opening the thread I can find it quicker than using the search function.

Ben.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »
Hi,

Is there anyway I can "save" this thread for ease of finding it in the future? I'm about to start on a new project and going off my last project it'll probably take me two years! And I'd like to use this thread as a reference.

If not, at least by re-opening the thread I can find it quicker than using the search function.

Ben.
Ben, what I have done in these cases is open the thread, and make a bookmark in my browser, takes it back directly without searching again.

Offline bwal

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2019, 12:43:47 AM »
Thanks Crueby. I didn't think of that.

Ben.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 12:54:15 AM »
Ben, hope you will do a build log as well on yours. It's a nice little engine.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal