Author Topic: Compressed Air V8 Engine  (Read 70393 times)

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
Re: Compressed Air V8 Engine
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
They look good, Chuck.  I like seeing a micro job done well!
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:31 AM »
Thanks for the support and the comments.  Keeps me plugging away at times I'd rather be doing something else!   :)

Here's a video of me using my new Arduino dividing head, built and programmed by yours truly, to cut the small timing gear.  Kind of boring for you guys to watch, but I found it very exciting to do!  That electronic dividing head makes gear cutting a breeze.  I also have a video of me cutting the larger timing gear out of brass, but I haven't loaded it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6CrFMwxbxQ

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2012, 01:28:11 AM »
Here's a picture of the gears (so far).

Chuck
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:54:13 AM by arnoldb »

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2012, 01:36:29 AM »
That dividing head seams to work just fine!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2012, 02:17:50 AM »
Looks good Chuck.

Watched the video. Always good to see parts being made...gives me a sense of feed and speed.

Got a little worried at the end though. Wondered if the siren were because of you.  :Lol:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2012, 02:58:36 AM »
Looking good.  But...

You'd damn well better post a complete write-up on that slick electronic dividing head setup, or post a link to it!  That was cool.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2012, 03:00:25 AM »
Looks good Chuck.

Watched the video. Always good to see parts being made...gives me a sense of feed and speed.

Don't know that I'm an authority on feeds and speed.  I just do what sounds and feels right.  If it hurts the ears it's probably wrong.  if it makes the hair on my neck stand up, it's really wrong!   :zap:

Got a little worried at the end though. Wondered if the siren were because of you.  :Lol:

How in the heck did you hear that siren?  I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it and went back to watch the video.  I was probably too busy thinking about what I was going to say next.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2012, 03:15:58 AM »
Looking good.  But...

You'd damn well better post a complete write-up on that slick electronic dividing head setup, or post a link to it!  That was cool.

Thanks, here's a link to the original thread on HMEM.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f39/electronic-dividing-head-using-arduino-17896/

It's one of the slickest tools I've ever made.  Just can't say enough good things about it.  It will do any number of divisions from 1 to 1,000 although the accuracy probably drops off pretty rapidly above 100 or so.  The stepper has 200 steps per revolution and it's geared 5:1 to the spindle giving it an overall resolution of 1000 steps per spindle revolution.   I also added a stepper motor to my small rotary table and use the same arduino and program to run it.  I just have to input which tool I'm running when I start it up. 

It was pretty cheap.  The arduino was around $25, the Sainsmart keyboard/display shield was around $20, the Pololu stepper driver was about $15, and the stepper motor was $20.  Programming the Arduino is pretty simple, if you know the C language.  You program it on your PC then just download the program to the Arduino through a USB connection.  I highly recommend it if you want a great sense of satisfaction.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »
Here's another video, this time I'm cutting the larger, 26 tooth, cam gear in Brass. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Nk4_cjvbw

Chuck

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2012, 07:40:34 AM »
Love your dividing head Chuck. At first glance it seems you have a 48 division stepper motor and a 5:1 reduction. Is that right or have I got it wrong? So when you cut the gear does the program just take you to the closest available step to what's required?

Steve

Bogstandard

« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
After a lot of trepidation on my part about when you first started that little dividing head, now you have it going very well indeed, a good addition to your shop tools.
Although I still think it is a little underpowered to use for continuous milling, but great for the use you are using it for now.

Very nicely done and shown :NotWorthy:

John

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »
That is really neat.  I wonder how I missed it the first time around.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2012, 03:18:31 PM »
Love your dividing head Chuck. At first glance it seems you have a 48 division stepper motor and a 5:1 reduction. Is that right or have I got it wrong? So when you cut the gear does the program just take you to the closest available step to what's required?

Steve

Thanks, Steve.  I had originally planned to use a 48 division stepper, but it was a NEMA 17 and was grossly under powered.  The NEMA 23 I wound up using  has 200 divisions and is a much stronger motor.

After a lot of trepidation on my part about when you first started that little dividing head, now you have it going very well indeed, a good addition to your shop tools.
Although I still think it is a little underpowered to use for continuous milling, but great for the use you are using it for now.

Very nicely done and shown :NotWorthy:

John

Thanks, John.  I agree that the older style NEMA 23 motor I used is not strong enough for powered milling.  But for drilling and gear cutting, it's more than adequate.  I'm going to rebuild the control box using a smaller, Arduino Nano.  And I'm going to replace the Sainsmart keypad/display with a hand-held infrared remote.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2012, 04:18:04 AM »
I am so tired of tapping.  So far I count 106 holes drilled and tapped plus the 8 flare connections threaded on each end.  But, I think the worst is done. 

These are 8 pieces of brass turned from 7/16 rod.  They are destined to become exhaust flanges that will hold the slave valve and spring inside the head.

I used my square 5C collet block to hold each flange while I milled a flat on opposite sides.

Here's 9 of them ready to drilled.  I save the exhaust hole in the middle until the very end since it really weakens the piece.

And here's a few teaser pictures.  Still got a few more things to complete before it's ready to run, but this gives you an idea of what it will look like.

Might have this thing running in a few days!

Chuck
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:55:32 AM by arnoldb »

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »
It's looking the part Chuck!   Can't wait for the first run!

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal