Author Topic: Miniature Chevy air cleaner  (Read 6317 times)

Offline galland

Miniature Chevy air cleaner
« on: April 09, 2019, 10:22:53 PM »
I have a buddy that I have known for over 40 years who seems to know more about the chevy's from the 50's and 60's than anyone I have ever met. I decided to try my hand at making a miniature 60's style high performance air cleaner and give it to him as a present. I just finished it this morning. The top is a 1/4 scale version of the open element type used on engines like the 302 Z28 and the 396-375 H.P.
   Gary

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: Miniature Chevy air cleaner
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 10:36:57 PM »
That is awesome!  I hope he appreciated it.

BTW: I do have a birthday coming up. Haha!
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:48:07 PM »
Beautiful Gary. I am sure he will appreciate that immensely.

Bill

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 02:08:42 PM »
That's really beautiful Gary, your lucky mate will certainly grin ear to ear when he unwraps that little gem!  Dave

Offline galland

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 12:03:50 AM »
Say would any of you guys know where I could get a 1/4 scale decal to go on the air cleaner? This is the original. I have looked everywhere with no luck.     Gary

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 12:08:20 AM »
Very nice, as well as unique.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 12:52:29 AM »
Hi Gary, with some computer "trickery", you should be able to re-scale the image & print it out on some adhesive backed decal/"sticker" paper.

Happy to help you with this if you would like,

John

Offline awJCKDup

• Central Indiana
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 01:34:31 AM »
Gary, very nice. Could I ask how you made the filter element?

John

Offline galland

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:43:20 PM »
John from Erie Pa, I will send you a private message on hear discussing this. Just to let you know, I am rather a computer dummy when it comes to doing things like what you mentioned.

2nd. John, I thought on this for quite a while and finally went this way. The top and bottom plates are threaded onto a center aluminum ring. A Teflon ring is a light press fit over the aluminum one. I found the .010 thick aluminum mesh at Hobby Lobby and it was cut about .125 taller than the Teflon ring and extends into grooves cut into the top and bottom plates. The orangish rubber cord was got from McMaster-Carr and is pressed into the grooves which holds the mesh tight against the Teflon. It all seemed to work out pretty well. If the wing nut is removed the whole thing comes off as a one piece unit.

Offline galland

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »
John,  This is the one that came on all original Z-28's. I think they are about 5 inches long.    Gary

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 10:58:44 PM »
 Hi Gary, I imported your .jpg into Draftsight, scaled the original to your estimated 5" length & then re-scaled to 1/4" scale. I tried saving the file back out as a .jpg, but lost all control of the scale when I then imported it into Inkscape & MS Paint.

I can only understand "Real" units (Actual length measurements), & did some looking if there was a connection between "Pixle" length & real world measureable units. I looked it up on the web, & it seems that "Pixle" size is a function of computer monitor resolution. (?)  :facepalm:

Like I had mentioned in your PM earlier, doing it this way in Draftsight gives me total control in all scaling & can make any decal to any size I wish.  :LittleDevil: This technique also works in AutoCad.

This image seems to be a pretty good quality & at this scale you should be able to print it out & have it look pretty good.

I can edit the attached PDF & remove the full scale version, & dimensions if that would be better for you. You should be able to print it out at 1:1 & get what you want.

As mentioned before...very cool little project!

John

toolznthings

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 02:19:30 AM »
Very nice work ! Really neat !  :ThumbsUp:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 01:36:50 PM »
I did something similar for the decals for the Briggs & Stratton engine though I had to created them in Autocad. The local office supply store (or Amazon) should have 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of clear mylar that can be laser printed, then cut out and applied. It sticks well to metal or any smooth surface. They will wear some over time so I printed out a whole sheet with multiple images and kept the rest for later.

Bill

Offline johnl

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 06:22:53 PM »
I made a similar air cleaner top for my Demon V8. I always liked them and the finned valve covers.

I like the air cleaner label idea too.

Offline galland

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 02:35:24 PM »
I located some 302  Z/28 emblems  (tie tack or lapel pins) and I thought they looked good so I ordered some and made a 1 inch taller upright on the base to hold them. Now I just need to get to work on the decal for the top lid.     Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal