Author Topic: box tool  (Read 5156 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: box tool
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 09:24:35 PM »
Box tools are pretty neat, I will grant.  But I've always considered them a production tool, used by screw machine shops, where you are kicking out 10,000 units a day or so.  For most tasks on lathe work they seem a lot of trouble.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 12:05:33 AM »
I used to think that as well but looking at some of the ones at Downriver's site they are potentially useful in the often useless/unused boring bar holder supplied with AXA kits.

E.g. the 5/8" threading tools on their site will fit very well into that AXA holder. I would set it on center/centre once (align with dead centre/center in the tailstock?), lock the cross silde then I can swap out several tools with little effort. Even the drill chuck 'box tool' would work well. This seems under better control from the carriage than from the tail stock, which might not even reach in some cases.

One example of work benefitting from this setup is making studs or nuts. Not a full blown turret setup but 'close enough' for repetitive work.

gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »
Downriver Tools Paypal issues are now fixed, just ordered 2 sets of drawings. Looking forward to making them...

5/8" SHANK - THREADING TOOLS
5/8" SHANK - POINTING & BOX TOOL

Offline petertha

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 05:41:05 PM »
Box tools are pretty neat, I will grant.  But I've always considered them a production tool, used by screw machine shops, where you are kicking out 10,000 units a day or so.  For most tasks on lathe work they seem a lot of trouble.

I've been watching vids of those older gen turret style machines, they fascinate me. I think what you might be saying is they are kind of a set up once (to a target diameter) & make many parts sort of thing as opposed to progressively tweaking the cutter setting analogous to how we adjust infeed on a conventional lathe? I get that. I was more thinking about the stability aspect approaching the work from the end on longer skinny aspect ratio parts & that might be more fiction or wishful thinking on my part.

Offline petertha

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 05:41:49 PM »
just ordered 2 sets of drawings. Looking forward to making them...

Keep us posted!

Online Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 12:23:45 AM »
Cool gerritv look forward to seeing your thread...... :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 12:42:05 AM »
Cool gerritv look forward to seeing your thread...... :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:
Don
I look forward to it as well, I have been too pre-occupied lately with designing a Nixie-tube clock and Visser related genealogy to do much machining. Really really missing it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal