Author Topic: Steam engine (Tiny vertical twin this time)  (Read 9671 times)

Offline gbritnell

Steam engine (Tiny vertical twin this time)
« on: October 29, 2012, 01:58:21 AM »
Good evening all,
With the 3 tiny singles finished I had a request for a twin using the same cylinder/column pieces so with a couple of drawings made I started on another set of parts. Most of the parts were covered in the tiny vertical thread so I'm just going to post some pictures of this engine. I still have to figure out how I'm going to build the piping so that it can be disassembled if necessary. I have tested both cylinders individually and they run just fine so it ought to tick over nice and slow with the piping on it.
gbritnell

Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Steam engine (Tiny vertical twin this time)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:36:34 AM »
Awesome George I like it, a twin mini. I will be waiting for your drawings. I don't guess it will have reversing on it. Are you going to do a photo series on the crank?

Don

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:47:18 AM »
That's looking nice.  It's either quite small or you found tires with gigantic valve stems!

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 03:14:54 AM »
So, George, all I have to do is request a particular type of engine and, Voila, you'll make me one?  Let me get my list together!!!   :whoohoo:

Don't know whether to use the word "really cute" or "beautiful".  I guess both words would equally apply.  Lovely work!

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 03:29:35 AM »
Lovely George!    Gonna put a Stephenson link on it?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:48:08 AM »
I have been in contact with a gentlemen, Gil Garceau, in conjunction with my builds. When I told him I was building this twin he asked the same question, "are you going to make a reversing version?" I told him I had seen pictures of a double of this type with reverse but had never actually seen the 'kit' to make it. He sent me a photo of the parts breakdown. They almost look like they were investment cast brass pieces.
I will have to get the old drawing board out and come up with a working set of drawings.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 12:35:45 PM »
Horizontal Version next, mini table engine, mini beam - we could keep George in work for a while here  :ROFL:

It's incredible, I downloaded the drawings and was looking at them the other day - it was then that I realised how much work would be involved and actually how small the parts are - beyond my capabilities without a doubt! It'd take a very talented machinist to get one looking anything like George's in my opinion.

Nick

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »
Check out Simon's build of the #4....very similar

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:45:54 PM »
I would love to see one that size with reversing gear in a RC model steam Launch. Maybe one of the Midwest Eliot Bay Launches.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 07:58:15 PM »
The April 1947 Popular Science started a series on an engine resembling the Stuart #4. It includes reverse gear.
The article series is available here (and in other places):

http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/Steam%20Engines/VerticalValveDesignSteamEngineAll.pdf

--Tim

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 11:02:57 AM »
Remarkable George, beautiful engine, it looks extremely similar to the one I am building. What size is the piston? it looks around 10mm.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
Good evening all,
With the 3 tiny singles finished I had a request for a twin using the same cylinder/column pieces so with a couple of drawings made I started on another set of parts. Most of the parts were covered in the tiny vertical thread so I'm just going to post some pictures of this engine. I still have to figure out how I'm going to build the piping so that it can be disassembled if necessary. I have tested both cylinders individually and they run just fine so it ought to tick over nice and slow with the piping on it.
gbritnell

George, With your indulgence, what became of the final finish to the radial after the problem? I may have been with Rip Van Winkle for a while and missed it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal