Author Topic: Brian Perkin's Engines  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Brian Perkin's Engines
« on: April 04, 2019, 08:38:44 AM »
Last month we lost a fellow Model engine maker and ICEBG member Brian Perkins. Brian made many fine models including a Bristol Hydra, Bristol Aquila and was working on a Mercedes W-165 Silver Arrow. if you would like to see some impressive model engines you will find details of his two model aircraft engines on these pages:

http://www.enginehistory.org/ModelEngines/Perkins/Hydra/bristol_hydra.shtml

http://www.enginehistory.org/ModelEngines/Perkins/Aquila/bristol_aquila.shtml

And he had his own web pages where he posted pictures of his model W-165 car and its model engine build:

https://sites.google.com/site/brianperkins87/home

Brian was always generous with sharing his knowledge and helping others make their own model engines. Thanks Brian  :)

Jo
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:04:53 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Brian Perkin's Engines
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:37:02 AM »
Jo did not add that Brian's engines were regularly awarded with Gold And Silver medals at the annual Model Engineer Competition. Only the very finest engines receive these prestigious awards. Brian;s Bristol Aquilla went on to win the coveted 'Duke of Edinburgh Challenge Trophy' which proclaimed his engine as being the 'Best of the Best', the 'Cream of the Cream'

Brian was an inspiration to us all. Ever helpful and encouraging, with a ready smile. Many of us will have seen his engine build articles in Model Engineer magazine and in the 'Strictly I/C' magazine. Sadly a debilitating illness in his latter years robbed him of the ability to finish his final creation, the incredible Mercedes W165 Silver Arrow Grand Prix car.

I had the privilege of a strong friendship with Brian for the last twenty/ thirty years. I for one, will miss him.

Brian's funeral will be in Bristol tomorrow. It is with great regret and sorrow that I will be unable to attend for family reasons, I am sure he would have understood.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 02:25:12 PM »
From the links, I can see why he won these awards. It's always a loss to the hobby when one of the great ones passes. Sadly it is happening more and more. I can only hope his work finds a home where it can continue to be admired.

Bill

Offline nj111

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »
Very sad. I recall seeing Brian as a regular exhibitor at the Bristol show when he was working on these extremely complex engines, and it was nice to see him as a visitor to last year's Bristol show.
Nick

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:27:59 PM »
We managed to get Brian and his wheelchair, behind the Internal Combustion Engine Builders Group stand for a few hours at the last Bristol Show.
He seemed very happy to be amongst his friends and admires, but quickly became very tired. 
A very cleaver engineer, they don't seem to make his like any more. We will miss him.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal