Author Topic: AOG’s version of Elmer’s number 5 geared engine  (Read 8416 times)

Offline AOG

AOG’s version of Elmer’s number 5 geared engine
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:30:15 AM »

This is one I have been wanting to make for a while. I remember reading Arnold’s build of this engine a few years ago. At the time I wasn’t up to the task but I think I’m ready. This is especially true because I’m cheating. I bought the gears premade.

Let’s get started. First up is the base. The blank was milled to size and mounting holes were drilled and counterbored from the bottom.

Then I milled the flywheel slot into the base. That took a month of Sundays. In hind sight I should have chain drilled the perimeter of the slot and cleaned it up with a mill.

Then the part was laid flat and I ran my shell mill over to top to clean it up.

That’s as far as I got this weekend. Till next time.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: AOG’s version of Elmer’s number 5 geared engine
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 05:07:10 AM »
That's going to be a fun little engine, Tony!  :popcorn: :popcorn:
Kim

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 06:11:59 AM »
Interesting engine.
Where did you get the gears?
Cheers,Ralph

Offline AOG

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »
Interesting engine.
Where did you get the gears?
Cheers,Ralph

Would you believe Amazon? They have a few week lead time but they are available.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 02:37:24 PM »
I always liked this one, never made it but will definitely be following along Tony. Great choice!!

Bill

Online bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
That's not cheating, that's bowing to reality. Boston has been making gears a long time, and I've never made one.  I'd have to need something special before I'd go to the trouble of buying gear cutting tools.

This engine is on my someday list too, Tony.  Will be watching with interest. :popcorn:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »
Gear cutters are handy things, but they would not make the internal tooth gears like you bought - anyone here ever make internal toothed gears? Wondering how they could be done...
Anyway, will be watching along, that is a very slick engine.

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 02:29:39 AM »
Those are some pricey gears. I had the engine mostly complete before I looked for the gears. Wow sticker shock.  Great looking progress.  Looking forward to seeing it run

Dave

Offline john mills

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 03:08:01 AM »
the internal gear can be made on a gear shaper the cutter has a small number of teeth to fit in side it is like a pinion and is geared to give the right number of teeth like a pinion meshing with the inside teeth both rotate together as the cutter backs off from the cut returns to the top of the stroke then advances to cutting depth cutting on the way down .The one i used was made by Tos it was the same as fellows .it fed to depth in the first 1/4 turn did a complete turn then backed off and stopped ready for the next gear.the one i used was only small would cut about 6" dia gears  but it was quick 700  800 strokes a minute not taking long to cut a gear.I never had to cut an internal gear but the tools were there.it would cut right up to a shoulder  into a narrow grove like 1/32" 

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »
Those are some pricey gears. I had the engine mostly complete before I looked for the gears. Wow sticker shock.  Great looking progress.  Looking forward to seeing it run

Dave

Less pricey German source

https://www.maedler.de/product/1643/1618/innenzahnkraenze-modul-05-bis-2

https://www.maedler.de/product/1643/1618/stirnzahnraeder-gerade-verzahnt
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:23:43 AM by Xldevil »

Offline AOG

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 01:57:17 AM »
I didn’t get much work done this weekend so I’m his will be a short update. I worked on one of the bearing pillars. I squared up the blank an milled it to length. Then I drilled and tapped the mounting holes.

Then with it still square I drilled the hole that eventually will take the bearing bronze.

The sides were milled close to the lines.

The end was faceted for rounding over.

The part was taken to the final shape on the belt sander.

That’s it for this weekend.

Till next time

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 02:53:23 PM »
Coming along Tony, nice progress!

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 02:40:39 AM »
This weekend has been three steps forward and two steps back. The fist thing I did was to make the large standard that will eventually hold the large gear. I squared up a blank and then drilled and tapped the mounting feet.

The part was flipped on it’s side and the bearing hole and the gear mounting holes were drilled. I deviated from the plans here. The plans call for 3-48 fasteners on the gear. I couldn’t find any so I am substituting 2-56 and drilled the holes accordingly.

The next change I made was to the shape. I liked what Arnold did on his so I roughly emulated his shape. First I notched the top in preparation for rounding over.

Then I milled down the sides close to the marked out dimensions.

The last bit of machining was to facet the top in preparation for rounding on the belt sander.

Then it was over to the belt sander to take the edges to the lines and round over the top. Here is a family shot taken after sanding.

Next up was to make the bearings. I turned the bronze to size and parted off two bearings.

I pressed the bearings into the standards. When the loctite cured I drilled and reamed the holes in the bearings.

That’s where I ran into problems. Somewhere along the way the drill drifted and I was left with this.

I pressed out the failed bearings and next week I will try again.

Till next time.

Tony

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:57:15 AM by AOG »

Offline AOG

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 02:52:57 AM »
I had a little shop time this weekend so I worked on the cylinder stand. First I squared up the blank and drilled the mounting holes.

The part was flipped onto its side and the decorative center hole drilled out and reamed.

Next I milled out the waste stock on the sides.

The part was turned bottom side up and trimmed to length.

That left me with the following.

After some quality time with my files, here is the final result.

Till next time

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:39 PM »
Bummer about the bearings Tony, but the cylinder stand turned out quite well.

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 03:22:14 AM »
Thanks Bill, now onto the cylinder itself. I started by squaring up a blank. It was inserted into the four jaw and taken to length.

Then the blank was offset in the chuck and the bore drilled and reamed.

Next the end was turned round.

The part was removed from the four jaw and placed on a mandril. Then it was held in the collet chuck and the other end turned round.

The blank was moved to the mill where the mounting holes and the exhaust port were drilled.

The part was rotated 90 degrees and I drilled the exhaust holes and milled the valve slots. I screwed up one of the slots and ended up filling it in with JB weld and remaking the slot.

Then the steam chest mounting holes were drilled.

The part was turned on end and notch cut into both ends of the cylinder.

Then the passage between the valve slots and cylinder end was drilled.

While drilling the other side disaster struck. the drill bit broke about 3/4 of the way through the part. Worse yet the drill was carbide so the alum trick wouldn’t have worked. I was tempted to trash the part and start again but I decided to try to save it. A trench was milled from the valve slot towards the end of the cylinder on centerline until the top of the drill was met. Then using my smallest punch the remains of the drill were drifted out. Now I have a hole in the wrong place and a big trench in my cylinder. The holes were filled with JB weld and I will try again after it sets. Thankfully Elmer uses a brass valve plate between the cylinder and the valve. If I can get the JB weld flat enough to seal I should be OK.

Till next time

Tony

Online bent

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 11:49:38 PM »
Argh!  That's the nightmare I have every time I go to drill cylinder passages...hope you can salvage the work you did already!

Offline AOG

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 12:42:20 AM »
When last we left this build I had filled in the holes from my broken drill debacle with JB weld. The JB weld set and the excess was cleaned up leaving this.

the slot was recut and the port drilled. If you look at the picture you can see the remnants of the trench that was cut to get at the broken drill. I’m going to call that a successful save and move on.

The next step was to drill the cylinder cover mounting holes while the stock was still square.

With that completed the two of the sides were milled down to final dimension.

Then the corner between the two sides was faceted in preparation for rounding over.

The corner was rounded on the belt sander and all of the holes were tapped.

I’m going to end this with a family shot with the cylinder in it’s approximate final location. I need to order some longer 5-40 screws to finish mounting it to the base.

That’s it for now. Till next time

Tony

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:27:45 AM by AOG »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 01:12:05 AM »
Nice recovery!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 02:34:47 PM »
Nice save Tony, and that will all be hidden anyway. Gotta love JB Weld :)

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 04:59:36 PM »
Thanks guys

Tony

Online bent

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 09:12:26 PM »
Phew!  Good fix!  Gotta love JB Weld. :agree:

Offline AOG

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 02:32:58 AM »
This weekend I got the cylinder covers done. I started by turning down a length of bar to match the cylinder diameter. Then I drilled and tapped the hole for the gland nut.

Having learned from painful experience, I always drill any kind of center holes before turning the profile. If you do it the other way around and the center hole is big enough there may not be enough material to support the stress from the drilling operation. In this case it’s not really an issue but I try to keep good habits. That brings us to the next operation turning the profile.

Next the bar was taken to the mill and the mounting holes drilled. I drilled them deep enough to make both cylinder covers without having to go back to the mill.

Both covers were parted off. Then the bosses were turned to fit the cylinder.

The last thing I did was to clean up the top face of the second cover. Here is a current family shot.

Till next time

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 02:52:57 PM »
Some nice progress there Tony!!  Keep it coming :)

Bill

Online bent

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 05:43:49 PM »
Good tip on the tapping prior to machining the boss.  Keep up the good work, Tony!

Offline AOG

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 02:19:28 AM »
This weekend I got the piston and piston rod done. I started with the rod end. First I drilled the end 3/32 to take the piston rod.

Next I profiled the end to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Then it was over to the mill to drill the end and mill it to width.

The part was cut off of the parent stock and rounded over. Then the piston rod was cut to length and the end was threaded.

The piston rod parts were put aside while I started on the piston. I turned down the OD 5 thousandths oversize to allow for trueing up on the piston rod.

Then I drilled and tapped the center of the piston.

The piston was parted off and screwed onto the piston rod. Then the rod assembly was mounted in the collet chuck. I am using a silicone o ring on the piston for sealing. Normally I cut the groove in the piston to the SAE dimensions for the gasket I’m using. This leads to a good seal but a relatively large amount of friction. I was reading the model engineer’s handbook and Tubal Cain recommends a different set of dimensions more appropriate to the lower pressures that model engines tend to operate. I cut the groove to the recommended dimensions and then trued up the outside and brought it to dimension. That also took care of any burs thrown up by cutting the groove.

The assembly was removed from the collet chuck and tested in the cylinder. It certainly has less friction but we’ll see how well it seals after assembly. The piston was unscrewed from the rod and set aside. The last thing I did was to solder the piston rod to the rod end. Here it is after the pickle and before clean up.

That’s it for now. Till next time.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2019, 11:18:39 PM »
I’ve been out of the shop these last few weeks because of a back injury from working on my car. I’m up and moving again but it will be a while before I’m ready to get back to the shop. Unfortunately that means that this build is on hiatus until then.

Tony

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 12:17:00 AM »
Hello Tony,

Sorry to hear about your back problems. From first hand experience let me encourage you to take all the time needed to fully recover.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2019, 03:05:33 PM »
No fun at all Tony. Take care of the back and don't rush as Thomas said. We will be here when you get back to the build.

Bill

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2019, 11:48:49 PM »
Get well soon  :LittleAngel:

Best wishes

Per

Online bent

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2019, 05:59:33 PM »
Looks good so far, Tony.  Rest and heal up, the projects can wait.

Offline AOG

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »
It’s been quite a while since I posted in this thread. Between work and my still not completely healed back my time in the shop has been limited to an occasional 10 min here and 20 min there. I was looking at the pictures in my camera and I realized I had enough for a post or two so let’s get caught up. On my last post I had finished the piston and piston rod. Next up was the valve chest. A blank was cut and squared off. Then it was centered up in the four jaw and the hole for the gland drilled and tapped.

The end was then turned round.

To keep things concentric the part was flipped and the rounded end was placed in a collet chuck. The other end was turned round and domed over.

Then over to the mill where the corners of the cavity where drilled out.

The center was then milled out.

The mounting holes were put in by coordinate drilling using the DRO.

The valve chest was flipped on it’s side and the intake hole drilled and tapped.

At that point I realized that I hadn’t drilled out the end dome to support the valve rod so it was back into the lathe to complete that operation.

Here is the completed valve chest prior filing and clean up.

That’s it for now. I have enough pics for another post that I’ll put up once I get them organized.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »
Good to see some progress Tony. Hope the back continues to improve as well.

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2019, 07:56:57 PM »
Thanks  Bill, here is the second part of my “let’s get caught up “ post. The next components made were the valve plate and valve chest cover. The blanks were squared up and clamped together. Then the mounting holes were coordinate drilled using the DRO.

Then the valve plate holes were drilled.

Next up was the valve itself. The end of a piece of brass bar was squared up and the pocket was milled.

The part was flipped over and milled to size.

Then the slots for the valve nut and rod were milled.

The valve was completed by cutting it off of the parent stock and milling it to length. The next part was the valve rod. My lathe doesn’t have a good means of supporting the end of such a small part so the profile was turned and threaded in short sections to minimize bending.

Then it was over to the mill to put in the flats and drill the hole.

The valve rod was parted off and faced to length. The last piece in this update is the eccentric. The parent stock was chucked in the four jaw and faced off. Then the shaft hole was drilled and reamed.

The four jaw was offset and the eccentric turned.

Then over to the mill to drill and tap for the grub screw.

The eccentric was parted off and faced to length. I will conclude this update with a family shot of where we are with this project.

Till next time

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2019, 12:23:00 AM »
Nice family shot Tony. Thanks again for the updates.

Bill

Online bent

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »
Nice work Tony!

Offline AOG

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 10:05:53 PM »
This weekend was one of those not a lot of pictures but plenty of work done weekends. I spent some time working on the outside gear. It’s one of those hard to hold in a vise parts and Elmer has strict requirements on the alignment of the holes to the gear profile. I have been working on learning fusion 360 so I decided to try out what I learned by designing a fixture to hold the gear in the correct position in the vise. This is what I came up with.

The fixture was designed to be a light interference fit to hold the gear. I printed the fixture and pressed the gear into it. The assembly was mounted in the mill and the holes drilled and tapped.

That’s when I found my mistake. Once the gear was pressed in, it didn’t want to come back out. I ended up having to mill a slot in the fixture deep enough to pry the gear loose. Next time I will add that to the design. I’ll end this with a closeup of the gear and fixture.

Till next time.

Tony

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 10:09:39 PM »
Another option to the slot to pry it out - could drill holes through the fixture so you could push it out with rods). Either way, clever use of printing!

Online bent

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2019, 05:38:35 PM »
That's a clever use of 3d printing.  Nice job Tony!

Offline AOG

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2019, 08:16:31 PM »
Thanks guys, I got the eccentric sheave done this weekend. I started by drilling and reaming the sheave.

Then I milled a slot in the sheave and parted it off.

I soldered a piece of brass bar to the sheave on my second attempt. (I overheated the first set of parts and melted them.)

I picked up the center of the sheave and drilled a hole for the pin.

Q

Elmer requires that the pin be drilled for a number 70 drill to take a retention wire. Number 60 is the smallest drill I own and I have had serious issues drilling tiny holes in tiny pins in the past. This time I drilled the parent stock while it was at full size. It made the task much easier.

Then I turned the pin to size and parted it off.

Here it is soldered into the assembly.

I still have a bunch of filing and clean up on the part yet to do but that’s it for now.

Till next time

Tony

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:26:00 PM by AOG »

Offline AOG

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 08:22:07 PM »
This weekend I made the gear crank. First I cut a piece of brass bar to length and drilled the holes tapping the small one 5-40.

Next I locktited the gear to a mandrill and turned it to the correct profile.

While I was doing that, one of my 3D printers was printing out a set of fixtures for the next steps. I mounted the bar to the first fixture on the rotary table and milled the sides to dimension.

Then I rounded over the large end and milled the boss.

The part was mounted onto the second jig and the small end rounded over.

Here is the part right off the second jig and before cleanup.

After cleaning up the crank it was soldered to the gear with solder paste.

Here is the final part after cleanup.

That’s it for now, till next time.

Tony

Offline awake

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2019, 11:08:59 PM »
Great work, Tony, and I love your use of 3d printed fixtures!

I am very much a newbie, learning greatly from everyone's builds. But I confess that I am still puzzled about this engine - at first I thought it was a 4-cycle IC engine, but now I think I am understanding that it is a steam engine - is that right? I was thinking the gearing was a fancy way to control the valve timing for a 4-cycle, but that wouldn't apply to a steam engine, right? So ... what purpose does the gearing serve?

Regardless, it is a fascinating engine, and I am learning much from your build!
Andy

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2019, 11:33:32 PM »
Back in the steam engine days there were all sorts of geared mechanisms, lever arrangements, etc, to get around other makers patents. More recently, some have been done just to make them more interesting to see. Geared valving is one of the old ones to get around patents.

Offline AOG

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 11:41:19 PM »
In this case the gear mechanism acts as a replacement for the crosshead. The piston rod moves in and out causing the spur gear to rotate around the inside gear which applies rotary motion to the crank. If you look at the first picture in the thread it makes more sense.

Tony

Offline awake

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »
Oh, I've been looking at that picture ... and I sorta get it, but not quite. :) I will continue to watch with interest!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Andy

Offline AOG

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
Take a look at the video in this thread you’ll see what I mean.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,840.msg9297.html#msg9297

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2019, 04:31:03 PM »
Nice to see more progress Tony. Hope to build one of these one day.

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2019, 06:55:16 PM »
This weekend I completed the crankshaft and flywheel. Let’s start with the crank. First I faced the stock and drilled the center hole.

Then it was over to the mill where I centered up on the hole and drilled the hole for the crank pin.

The sides of the part were milled to shape and parted off.

The shaft was turned to fit in the crank and loctited together. Then  the crankshaft assembly was faced and turned to true it up.

Next was the flywheel. It was mounted on the three jaw and centered with a bump center. The center boss was cleaned up and the center hole drilled.

The part was flipped and and the other center cleaned up. The flywheel was mounted on a mandrill, turned and faced.

Unfortunately the casting had several blow holes in the rim and he face. Feeling lazy, I decided paint the flywheel. I cleaned up the other side and then fill the holes with JB weld.

Once the JB weld cured I cleaned up the flywheel.

With that done I am getting close to end of this one. I have a few more “bits and bobs” left to do to complete the machining.

Till next time

Tony

Online bent

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2019, 11:00:39 PM »
Sorry to hear about the flaws in the flywheel Tony, looks like you did a good repair job.  Where did you get the casting from?

Offline AOG

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2019, 01:08:29 AM »
It’s a PM research casting.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2019, 06:47:53 PM »
Time to close out the machining on this one. I made the two gland nuts by turning them to profile

Then they were threaded, drilled and parted off.

The last parts were a pair of shoulder bolts. The blanks were turned to shape.

Then they were threaded and parted off.

Next they were placed in a collet block and the slot was cut.

That completes the machining for this project. I am now working on lagging the cylinder and painting the model. Let’s close out this update with a final family shot.

Till next time

Tony

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2019, 09:36:22 PM »
Good work,    always like  to see a family photo.            Terry

Online bent

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2019, 06:43:08 PM »