Author Topic: Tool Grinding Tutorial  (Read 1275 times)

Offline creepy

Tool Grinding Tutorial
« on: July 08, 2019, 11:46:36 AM »
Hi Folks
I have had a request from a couple of YouTube subscribers to post up a video on HSS tool grinding, a little long but I hope you find it helpful. (I'm not pretending to be an expert) This is only a guide and the way I grind tools, it maybe or maybe not the way others grind their tools.
I was having some outside interference from the local wildlife, which I decided to be part of the video, hope you enjoy. They have become great mates.
Gary
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQcdNYSQGEw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQcdNYSQGEw</a>

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
Re: Tool Grinding Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 06:33:40 AM »
Thanks Gary........am a fan of HSS tooling over cardbides for 9 out of 10 tasks in model engineering work, and yes they can be resharpened without a great deal of trouble

[Did you hear the Catholic Church in Geraldton WA wants to supply the winged flock of Sulfur Crested Cockatoos with  birth control mixed into seed, as the birds are having great delight in eating the roofing & electrical wiring of the Church building

I am in Corrimal just North of Wollongong.....& the same type of bird flock swoops .......sounds like a a squawking train  :Director:@ 120 decibels @ about 6:30 AM  here, 7:00 @ Wollongong & about 10:00 @ Dapto eating everything in their path

They then make their way back North to the Royal National Park @ about 6:00 PM....

Then everything is repeated the same the next day :facepalm: ]

That white wheel you use is I presume Aluminium Oxide and ??? 120 grit size?..............did I hear you say you don't water cool?.......so air cooling only?.........[the only other larger white wheels I remember during my apprenticeship @ MM [more than 50 years ago  :old:] were softer Silicon Carbide 240? Grit, but only for cemented carbide tipped tools]

At Wollongong Tech we were taught to use grey colored Aluminium Oxide bonded wheels for HSS, but usually  say 60 grit max, and always water cool the HSS blanks prior to any bluing of the surface

Derek

Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal