Author Topic: Proxxon FD150/E  (Read 10053 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Proxxon FD150/E
« on: March 30, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »
I had previously looked at the Proxxon FD150/E for it’s 5000 rpm and ER11 chuck. I initially decided against due to the problems fitting my floating reamer holder.

One of the local suppliers had a very good offer on so I decided to give it a try. It’s a very small, low cost, machine weighing 4.5kg. I didn’t expect Cowells/Sherline quality but was interested to see how good/bad it was.

It was delivered together with the ER11 chuck, tailstock drill chuck and set of 6mm HSS tools. The 3 jaw SC chuck and revolving centre are included with the lathe.

The initial impression was good. The 14mm shaft of the floating reamer holder fitted into the tailstock body with the quill removed, problem solved. The initial accuracy was not so good. I questioned this with the supplier and they confirmed that it was within their tolerances of 0.03mm runout for the ER11 chuck and 0.14mm runout for the 3 jaw chuck. The chuck register and collet cone were both better than 0.005mm.

I investigated further and found that the extractor ring on the collet nut was contacting the groove in the collet rather than the front cone. I skimmed 0.4 mm off which significantly improved the accuracy. Using the jaws from my Proxxon RT in the 3 jaw chuck improved the runout to 0.07mm.

There are various video clips of this on my YouTube if anyone is interested.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGp9EsVu04M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGp9EsVu04M</a>
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Proxxon FD150/E
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 06:09:37 PM »
My personal experience of Proxon stuff is that it is very good until the electrics fail  :( I hope they have done something about them.

I think that bottle of wine is looking very lonely and unloved and you really need to do something about it :wine1:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:42:33 PM »
Congratulations on the new toy tool and I love that you improved it so much with such a minor modification  :cheers:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 10:29:08 PM »
Roger...Proxxon according to their YouTube media advertising, pride themselves on their attention to quality & detail

From your description, it suggests a CNC setting problem over a CAD tolerancing issue......do you agree?

[You mention discussing this issue with the Supplier...do you actually mean the manufacturer?]

I would be inclined to send a tidy copy of your YouTube video with a  :happyreader: story  & marked to the Proxxon Quality Assurance Department

It can do you no harm, the worst that could happen is for Proxxon ignore you.......however considering the extent of Global YouTube media spread, I doubt that

Derek

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 10:35:49 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline sorveltaja

• Finland
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:38:54 PM »
I have drooled over that PD150 for some time. If it only had a cast iron bed and guide ways, it would definitely end to my shopping list.

What comes to Proxxon's electrics, I have a PF 230 mill, which started to blow a main fuse of the apartment, when it stalled. I took the circuit board out, but couldn't find any burned parts.

So I sent it to electrician. It worked for some time, but again the same situation. Sent it to electrician once more time, and it worked again for some time.

When the next fail happened, I simply pulled the circuit board out, and ditched it. I replaced it with a rectifier, that was in my electronics junk box. It was rated at 220/240V.

That was about 15 years ago, and since then, not a single problem about burned main fuses, even if the motor stalls.

However, I do NOT recommend that, unless the person knows, what he/she is doing, with the mains supply involved.

The PD 210 lathe I have, never had any problems like that. Anyways, It doesn't have any circuit boards in it neither...

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 09:48:01 AM »
Thank you all for the comments.

Jo, the wine is actually borrowed from my neighbours cellar to set the scale. So far I haven't had any electrical problems with my Proxxon machines.

Derek, I initially queried the accuracy with the supplier who arranged for it to be sent to the local Proxxon service centre for checking. They said it was within the specification. I than discussed the findings with Proxxon's technical department. They have seen all the video clips and pictures. Their view is that they have delivered an acceptable price/accuracy combination however they were going to check the design of the collet nut.

The lathe and accessories in the picture cost CHF 635.

Having reached a reasonable accuracy I then tried some cuts.

First I turned a piece of 3mm brass down to 0.7mm and spotted the end with a 0.5mm centre drill. I then drilled to full depth with a 0.2mm drill followed by a 0.5mm drill all without problems at 5000rpm. Next I took a 0.5mm cut in a piece of 5mm silver steel again without problems.

I then checked the alignment of the centres with a steel ruler clamped between then, not too bad  :)

Finally for it's first job I drilled the ends of some 4mm grub screw for the tappet adjusters on my twin cylinder engine.
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 05:47:04 PM »
Hi Roger, a very nice addition to your cellar paradise. I like it also very  much to have my Unimat SL at the shelf for special jobs.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 06:52:55 PM »
The details are in another thread, but I finally got round to modifying Sherline 3 jaw sc and 4 jaw independent chucks to fit this lathe  :) :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 12:03:23 AM »
Looks like a nice little addition there Roger!
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 03:54:57 PM »
I have been looking at insert grooving/parting tools being prompted by some of the threads on here. They all seem to start at 8mm high holders which will not fit the FD150. Looking at the tool holder the base seems quite thick and could have 2mm milled away. The cutting forces on this lathe will never be very large.

The clamping screws are burred at the end and were not easy to remove so I left them in place. One side is left standard for 6mm tools.

As a trial I drilled and tapped a piece of 8mm silver steel M2 and then parted it off with a home ground parting tool. With a slow steady feed and lubrication with an old tooth brush no problems  :)

I now need to select some suitable insert tools but that will be the subject of another thread.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 09:44:34 PM »
So are you still happy with the FD150 ?

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 05:07:13 PM »
Yes I am happy with the price/performance ratio. It is much easier to work with small components when you can get close and see them. I have discussed some of my perceived deficiencies with Proxxon and they have given their views. They are not offering a 4 jaw independent chuck as they are not sure their target group for this machine will understand the balance issues.

Could I make better injectors if I had spent more bought a Sherline or even more and bought a Cowells. I'm not sure  :thinking:  ::)  Being able to clean your lathe before putting it out the way on the shelf by holding it over the waste bin and shaking it has some advantages  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 08:15:11 PM »

Being able to clean your lathe before putting it out the way on the shelf by holding it over the waste bin and shaking it has some advantages  ;)

:lolb: :lolb: :lolb:  I wish.
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 08:31:18 PM »

Being able to clean your lathe before putting it out the way on the shelf by holding it over the waste bin and shaking it has some advantages  ;)

:lolb: :lolb: :lolb:  I wish.
Sounds like Vixen would need a crane and a dump truck to do that with his lathe!   :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal