Author Topic: Huff and Puff (Tiny)  (Read 2082 times)

Offline gbritnell

Huff and Puff (Tiny)
« on: April 10, 2019, 12:17:54 AM »
Gentlemen,
While I was waiting for aluminum to be delivered I needed something to keep my hands occupied. When the thread about the Huff and Puff steam engine was started by Doc I went to the link to have a look at the original that Phillip Duclos created. I took all the dimensions and as has become my habit I scaled them down to 3/4 of the actual dimensions. That gave a bore and stroke of .1875 x .094. The small hex bolts that hold the front head and the cylinder to the base are M1.0 x .25 and the bolts that connect the rod and valve strap are M.08 x .20 (.032 diameter) The base is .785 long and overall it's 1.25 long.
I built everything to the drawings and it would barely run so I had a look at the valve and changed the timing on it. Doc, you might have a look at it before making yours.
It will run by breath but just barely although I had it well oiled for running on the video.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline gbritnell

Re: Huff and Puff (Tiny)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 12:19:27 AM »
The last set of pictures.

Offline kvom

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 01:09:56 AM »
Another little beauty George to go with the rest of the "tiny" collection.

Bill

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 01:31:04 AM »
Fantastic George!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Beautiful little engine!

toolznthings

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:58:51 AM »
Real nice !

I noticed a trend. George keeps building smaller and I'm building larger.  :Lol:

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 02:10:45 PM »
The horizontal was made so that just begged for a vertical. The dimensions for most of the parts are still the same as the horizontal with the exception of the base, lower cylinder head and uprights. The uprights are .062 diameter with M1.2 x .25 threads on the head end and tapped the same on the bottom. Held in place by screws from underneath.
I increased the shaft diameter to .055 using a drill shank for the shaft. The set screw in the eccentric is 0-80 thread and every time I tried to run it the eccentric would slip. The drill shank was actually hard and the set screw wouldn't bite into it. so using my Dremel I ground a flat and that solved the problem.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 02:17:48 PM »
Another nice one George. At least they don't take up much storage space. Wondering what is next....a twin "V" maybe  :D

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 06:48:07 PM »
9 cylinder radial version....

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 10:57:29 PM »
Very nice as always George !

9 cylinder radial version....

Come on Chris, give him a bit of a challenge, make it 18 !! (yikes- he'll probably do it)
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal