Author Topic: My first spark ignition engine  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
My first spark ignition engine
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »
Hello guys,

Maybe some of you can recall Jef Lemmens posting his build log on here about his home designed 14cc petrol engine based on the old vintage Alco engine. After some excellent images of the varying stages Jef kindly posted the drawings at the end of the build for any of us to use. I contacted my friend John (Murray) who had started all this engine building interest of mine off by encouraging me to build that Nova diesel. We had both built one at the same time so the suggestion was made we do it again but this time with Jefs engine.

You may remember this from the ED Hunter thread ......

..... well that's been the situation until recently when all the parts have finally been made :)

It's been a great project to undertake for a 'first' sparkie - the drawings have proved excellent to work to for both of us, accurate and detailed. John finished his a few weeks ago and assembly of mine took place over yesterday and today - the only 'tweaking' required being a skim out of the baffle cut out in the cylinder head and a slight opening of the con-rod clearance in the crankcase. The backplate thread did require milling away on both engines in order to allow the con - rod to slip over the crank pin.

It's a tall and majestic looking beast compared to the diesels made so far - the transfer covers, neatly engraved by John, gives a tad of 'vintageness'

John's engine fired up and ran from the off so I'm hoping for the same though his home developed ignition system hit a few snags burning out the hall sensors. A switch (oops) to using a reed switch instead led to an instant improvement and it has run well since on Coleman fuel or petrol. He has kindly supplied me with a ready made 'board of tricks' to make my own ignition box set up. I made the plugs based on the Lew Blackmore design in the Bentley book which worked well though the first insulator, made from Corian, went into orbit as the minimal shoulder gave way. A change to a ceramic tube insert set into a bulkier Corian insulator has improved matters considerably and showed a distinct (albeit audible) increase in revs from a commercial KLG.

Though I had found a couple of Super Tigre R/C carbs for both engines to use I began to think about making this one look a little more traditional and make a conventional venturi and needle valve assembly but after hearing John's fire up prudence decided the means to throttle it was definitely the right way to go ::) The props on both engines are 'Airflow' 16 x 6 with John's so far reaching around 4700 rpm.

Hopefully, once the spark producing bits are done we'll have a run and take the requisite vid but until then I can thoroughly recommend Jef's design - it's a real cracker :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I'll be back on those Olly's before too long  ;)

Regards - Tug

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:59:20 AM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: First spark ignition engine
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 10:39:16 PM »
Lovely work Ramon.---Brian

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 10:51:49 PM »
Beautiful work Ramon!
You always work to such a high standard, you are an inspiration.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 12:47:47 AM »
Lovely engine. Hope we get to see it run as well.

Bill

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 08:52:45 AM »
Lovely.  Looking forward to hearing it.

Cheers
Rod

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 09:57:34 AM »
Thanks for checking in guys and taking the time to post  :ThumbsUp:

Have to say it's a completely different kettle of fish to whats been made before - making rings was a novelty for sure  ;) - I carefully followed the treatise by George Trimble in Strictly I/C magazine on ring making however and it worked exactly as he described  :ThumbsUp: It's hard to tell if the compression is right though - it's a huge difference from the diesels for sure

John's has a very throaty sound at full chat so I'm hoping for the same - we hope to be running them together at Forncett Rod ;)

Video in due course

Regards - Tug

Online sco

Re: My first spark ignition engine
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 10:03:26 AM »
More great work Tug - can't wait to hear it at Forncett!

One day I'll need some help making sparkplugs....

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 10:40:25 AM »
Another nice engine to join the collection Ramon, though I thought the BR2 was your first sparkie ;)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 10:54:59 AM »
What a beautiful picture to wake up to this morning. Stunning Tug. Can’t wait to see and hear it running

Whiskey

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 10:57:19 AM »
Great looking engine! Do you know what issues you were having with the Hall transistors, other than burning out? Was the grounding not adequate!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 06:47:48 PM »
Ha! - nice try Jason  ;D - perhaps I should re-title it to My First Fully Finished Spark Engine :ROFL:

George - I have no idea. All I can say is that he went through several and investigated the potential causes without establishing the reason. The circuit was modified to suit too I believe but I have absolutely zilch knowledge on anything electronic so can't make a comment other than that. This is going to be one component of this build that for me will either work or it won't I'm afraid - wouldn't have a clue where to start fault checking ::)

Whiskey, Simon - good to see you here, hopefully it will be running before too long ;)

Regards - Tug

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal