Author Topic: Atlas 7B shaper restoration  (Read 16730 times)

Offline vdubjunkie

Re: Atlas 7B shaper restoration
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 08:45:59 PM »
If the Purple Power doesn't get it done.   Try Simple Green mixed 50/50 with hot water.....that'll take paint and grease off...bare metal

Dave

Thanks for that tip.  I've heard others talk about simple green, but haven't used it myself.  The purple power did a fantastic job of grease removal, and quite a bit of the looser paint.  At this time, I'm not a huge fan of what it takes to deal with citrisrip.  It's very nasty stuff after mixed with all the paint it removed.  I wouldn't mind seeing how the simple green works.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 09:17:28 PM »
Go through this thread and you'll find plenty of before and afters.

occasionally, they needed a little scrubbing with a scrub brush, but it worked WAY better than the citristrip.

Dave

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,369.msg35642.html#msg35642
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 10:14:38 PM »
Glad to see you doing a full restoration on this nice machine. Lots of work for sure, but just keep thinking about how nice it will be after the restoration.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 10:36:57 PM »
Check out post 92 and especially 93 on my rebuild thread

That's how they clean up, and once they're dry, I can paint.    3 coats of rustoleum, and no primer required.

has held up very nicely

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline vdubjunkie

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 02:59:51 PM »
Dave,

I just skimmed through your entire thread (skim = look at all pics, and occasionally read too), and I've got to say that it was quite humbling.  That is one nice machine. 

With that said, I am still happy that I'm choosing my particular level of restoration.  To begin with, I'm not so sure this machine would even see a substantial benefit from it.  While I don't really see any original scraping marks, I don't really think it was ever used that much.  I think it was used occasionally, and left dirty all the time.

I must say, though, that it is so cool seeing the different ways people go about doing a restoration.  That was very inspiring.  I really would enjoy doing a more complete either 10" or 13" South Bend.

The other day I FINALLY found a really good option in a city not that far from me.  Whenever I'm looking around, I never see anything anywhere near me.  Of course, it is moot, as I couldn't even begin to hope to spend a chunk of change like that.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 03:06:27 PM »
It was a labor or Love I can assure you...and it's satisfying to be able to use it in anger, and get great results.

I agree...the 7" shapers probably didn't get used that much.   Clean her up and paint her and spend some time putting her back together right, and pay attention and repair anything that's worn, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm following along.....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »
treat the Zymak parts carefully.    I don't know how that material is affected by the more aggressive cleaners.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline vdubjunkie

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 04:31:08 PM »
treat the Zymak parts carefully.    I don't know how that material is affected by the more aggressive cleaners.

Dave

Dave,

You've introduced me to something new.  You aren't talking about this are you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

I've had a few parts, that, by touch, seemed to be a bit less substantial.  I've just generically been referring to things as pot metal, or thinking some things have been coated.  One of the ball crank handles is definitely coated, and I'll have to do some thinking on what to do about it, because it was jacked up before I touched it.

So far, my instincts have done alright.  I haven't taken anything out of purple power baths, or citristrip, and thought "oh god, what have I done?!"  I'll definitely be asking some advice soon.  I'm also taking a break from my steam engine build to let the frustration dissipate.  When I get back to it, I may be calling on you specifically!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2019, 04:41:51 PM »

Dave

Dave,

You've introduced me to something new.  You aren't talking about this are you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

I've had a few parts, that, by touch, seemed to be a bit less substantial.  I've just generically been referring to things as pot metal, or thinking some things have been coated.  One of the ball crank handles is definitely coated, and I'll have to do some thinking on what to do about it, because it was jacked up before I touched it.

So far, my instincts have done alright.  I haven't taken anything out of purple power baths, or citristrip, and thought "oh god, what have I done?!"  I'll definitely be asking some advice soon.  I'm also taking a break from my steam engine build to let the frustration dissipate.  When I get back to it, I may be calling on you specifically!

Yes that is what I was talking about.    I don't know how it will react to the "dip"   so proceed with caution on those parts....It may be absolutely fine, but I would "walk into that slowly"

Typical Atlas parts like handles were Zymak + chrome plated.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2019, 04:52:59 PM »
Enjoying the progress on your shaper.

I have an AMMCO 7" shaper that I have been working on, fortunately mine is in very nice original condition and only needed to be cleaned and adjusted. I'm looking forward to being able to put it to use.

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »

I have an AMMCO 7" shaper that I have been working on, fortunately mine is in very nice original condition and only needed to be cleaned and adjusted. I'm looking forward to being able to put it to use.

Dave

I had an Ammco 7,  it was the most accurate machine in the shop for a long time!...Then...The F1 fell in my lap, and it had to go, so I sold it....I liked that machine!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline vdubjunkie

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 10:51:57 PM »

Dave

Thanks Dave.  I'm really enjoying the process.  Honestly, the Atlas was at the bottom of my list.  I would have rather had an AAMCO or South Bend.  I even found one I hadn't ever heard of, and was trying to make the deal happen when the jerk just went silent on me.  It was a really neat looking machine. 

That is a very nice looking machine you've got there.  I'm really looking forward to putting this little thing to use.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 12:42:59 AM »
The Atlas appears to be a well built machine.

The AMMCO doesn't have tee slots and also a very small table; I do have the original vise which has 4" jaws. I recently made a fixture plate that mounts to the table and is keyed for alignment.
I'm hoping that this will give me some more options when it comes to fixturing parts.

Dave

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
Hi,
Following along. My Dad has a 7" Ammco...pretty sure....so one day it will be in my shop.

Dave ,
 That sure is pretty! It doesn't look like it has worked hard in its life

I got a club newsletter yesterday from one of the other clubs here in NZ & it had a picture of one of the guys cutting an internal spline using his shaper. He had welded up plate with side plates that bolted to the table, on to this he had mounted his dividing head inline with the tool. The resultant splines looked very good.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline vdubjunkie

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2019, 04:54:42 AM »
Of course, it always comes down to what a particular person actually does, but I can't help but want to compare the price of a small shaper with a full set of broaches.  You don't really need a set of broaches if you have a shaper.  Never mind all the other things you either can't do with a mill, or the shaper simply does better.  :facepalm:

You hear a lot of people complaining about how you can't make any money with a shaper, but heck, this is a hobby for me.  I don't plan on ever being able to make any money anyway.    :Jester:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal