Author Topic: Reaming Holes in Fixture Plate - What Type of Reamer  (Read 3591 times)

Online Twizseven

Re: Reaming Holes in Fixture Plate - What Type of Reamer
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 10:36:35 AM »
I love the way my original questions has gained many helpful responses.  What i also like is the other gems of information that have arisen such as the use of tapered dowels in Naval Ordnance.

I never cease to be amazed by the scale of knowledge of the members of this forum.  Long may it continue.

Holes all tapped and slightly countersunk.  Now to drill dowel holes prior to either boring, reaming or slotdrilling.

Note that the central holding down bolt is only temporary. This will be replaced by a counterbored hole 50mm to the right.

Would it be wise to put a slight countersink on the dowel holes?

Colin

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:39:41 AM by Twizseven »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »
I would just do a small one as it saves the edge getting damaged, 1mm would be more than enough. If you do it before final ream/bore then there is no risk of a blunt CSK leaving a burr that may make the pins tight.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
Jason,

Many thanks for quick response.  I guessed that was the case but wanted confirmation I would be doing the right thing.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 08:30:53 PM »
10mm Reamer and 10mm slotmill arrived today.  Tried the slotmill and this give a slightly oversize hole.  Reamed hole was a lot better.  So pilot drilled all way through at 3mm, followed by 9.7mm and then 9.9mm, both these stopping 2mm before the bottom of the plate.  Then ran reamer through all 56 holes.

The dowels just need a firm twist to insert them.  Will make a small threaded tool to remove them.

Pleased how it came out.

Will try on the mill tomorrow with the indexer.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »
Finished the fixture plate/indexer mounting plate this evening. Needed a final slot milling for the tenon which located the indexer on the centerline of the table and also to make the 18/16mm tenon.  Due to brain fade it took me two goes to get the slot length correct, but it all assembled okay.

Its quite a job to locate the tenons when the indexer weighs around 85-90Kgs.  The electric hoist picks it up okay but need to lower very gingerly, and in fact I lowered it onto a piece of ply sheet to start off with.

Pleased with how it came out.  Just need to use it now.

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal