Author Topic: Jack3M  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Jack3m

• Washougal WA
Jack3M
« on: March 20, 2019, 07:43:19 PM »
Washougal WA here.  Relative newbie to all this.  Formerly big into RC aircraft, fixed and rotory wing, scale modeling, even national competetion.  Macular degeneration got me to stop and I was getting bored anyhow had mastered it all and was sick of the drones and new wave batch.  Bought a Grizzly lathe and mill and been building steam stuff since.  Have completed from kit a Stuart 10H and a Ransom & May horizontal, and a 6" duplex horizontal pump(that was a cool kit).  Also have scratch built from plans the Stuart Twin Victoria.  I cast my own parts in aluminum, brass, and bronze.  Forge not adequate for cast iron...yet.  Currently working on a Harris Steam Donkey from his book.  Have a Mery 6 stroke kit from Martin Pattern waiting in the wings.  Careers of auto mechanic, self employment, and Paramedic which got me disabled.  Now 66 and have to have challenges like casting my own parts to make a project take enough time.  (Last airplane I built in 6 weeks, was 10 foot wingspan biplane and 16 hp engine)  These steam projects take more time, especially if you have to make plugs and cast parts.  Also just recently finally found a CAD program I can operate well (Fusion 360) which has been a decades long dream.  Makes making plugs and printing them out a breeze, no more carving, sanding, finishing. 
Jack of all trades, master of none

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Jack3M
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:08:13 PM »
Welcome Jack and thanks for the intro. Sounds like you share a lot of interests with many here. We love pictures too! Glad to have you on board.

Bilk

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 12:17:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum Jack!
I'm just to the south of you (well, actually mostly west since I'm in Hillsboro).
Are you a part of the Portland Model Engineers?  They meet around the Portland area every month.
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 12:23:41 AM »
Hi Jack
Welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline Jack3m

• Washougal WA
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 11:47:53 PM »
I'm just to the south of you (well, actually mostly west since I'm in Hillsboro).
Are you a part of the Portland Model Engineers?  They meet around the Portland area every month.
Kim
Hi Kim,
Yes, I know of the club.  I have reached a point in my life that meetings are my most unfavorite thing to do.  I have been officer in clubs, and I am just burned out on clubs, meetings, etc. 

But nice to know we have others in the area, and I am more than willing to share my knowledge and tooling to help.  You see, I have also built guitars, so I have wood working stuff, still have my tools from working car dealership, MIG, TIG, Gas. I just have to 'DIY'.

toolznthings

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 12:02:44 AM »
Another welcome to the forum !  :)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 04:51:51 AM »
Kim
Hi Kim,
Yes, I know of the club.  I have reached a point in my life that meetings are my most unfavorite thing to do.  I have been officer in clubs, and I am just burned out on clubs, meetings, etc. 

But nice to know we have others in the area, and I am more than willing to share my knowledge and tooling to help.  You see, I have also built guitars, so I have wood working stuff, still have my tools from working car dealership, MIG, TIG, Gas. I just have to 'DIY'.
I certainly understand that!  I enjoy the meetings when I go - meeting people and seeing what their up to and such.  But my problem is that I still work. (That's the crux of so many problems, as well as the thing that lets me enjoy my hobby - go figure!)  And about half the time meetings fall on Saturdays days where I'm busy with family, and the other half the time I just can't see taking my ONE day in many to go sit around with people I don't know very well.  I'd rather work in my shop!  So, though I'm a member, I don't really attend very often.  Maybe when I retire, then I'll be more interested to spend one Saturday a month at the club meetings?  Maybe?

Anyway, welcome!  I find this forum fills lots of the needs of a local club. I get great support and learn a ton from the other members, I can 'attend' the forum when I have time (lunch hour - 30 min before bed, whatever).  And everyone here is quite friendly. Its a great place.  The Portland group is too, mind you, but the time frame is much less flexible! :)

Kim

Offline Jack3m

• Washougal WA
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 12:56:39 PM »
Thanks Kim, I may research it if it is on Sats.   daytime.  I just don't do after 1800.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 04:38:52 AM »
They meet the 2nd Saturday of each month at 1:00pm.
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal