Author Topic: Sideshaft i.c. Horizontal engine  (Read 15424 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Sideshaft i.c. Horizontal engine
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 07:17:23 AM »
Just make the web smaller, it only needs to stand 1/16" above the bearing diameter to give a face for the side of the bearing to contact. That would be easy to do with a boring head and suitable tool feeding upwards on one side and down on the other so all can be done at one setting.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »
It can be done with one of those boring bars between centers Jason sometime uses ….

ARGH - I just noticed that Jason himself answered on the next page where my reply appeared too….  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:20:53 AM by Admiral_dk »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »
That didn't go too badly at all. I have a multitude of holes to tap, and I'm still thinking about the counterbore issue, but I like the way the piece turned out. About 90% of it was "Lay out the shape on a piece of 2" material, bandsaw close to the line, then mill to the line".  Tomorrow I will think some more about the counterbores and tap all the holes.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 11:08:08 PM »
I've figured out the counterbore. I can do both sides with a brazed carbide boring tool in my boring head. The crankshaft is 3/8" diameter. The clearance hole around the shaft is going to get opened out to 5/8" diameter. The counterbore for the bearing is 0.906" diameter. The shank on the brazed carbide boring tool is .425" diameter. The only part that of this that sucks a bit is that I can't do both sides in one set-up. I have a 5/8" reamer which will be used to put the clearance hole thru all. That way I can "pick up" on the reamed hole when I flip the part over to do the other side.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 12:37:29 AM »
Brian,
Oh no, you will build it, just a matter of time. :mischief:
Ok maybe not. You already have a major start and are troubleshooting the next step. At this rate you'll have this done next week. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 01:07:07 AM »
Wow, missed checking in and its half built!

:popcorn:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 07:05:07 AM »
Brian, if you make a holder like the one being used in the attached photo you can grind up a tool that will do both sides in one setting.

Much like this cut on the inside of an enclosed crankcase

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 06:51:11 PM »
Todays work involved tapping all the holes I had drilled yesterday in the main chassis and fabricating a pair of bearing caps. Those bearing caps have a lot more work in them than you would think at a casual glance. Why is the half hole in the bearing caps a different size than the half hole in the main frame?--That comes from making changes on the fly and not writing them down on the drawing as I do them. It doesn't really matter. They are clearance holes around the crankshaft and still have to be drilled out to a larger size before things are finished. Tomorrow I will tackle the bores and counterbores. Every fifteen minutes I have a different plan on how I'm going to do it--Probably won't know myself until I'm actually doing it.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »
So--Here we have the main chassis and baseplate set up in the milling vice. The top hole has been drilled thru and reamed to 0.750". The bottom hole (which will be on the sideshaft side of the engine) has been drilled and reamed to 0.4375" diameter.  The boring tool fits down thru the .750" clearance hole and has counterbored a 0.906" diameter hole x 0.312" deep into the inside face, to hold the ball bearing.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 03:33:51 PM »
I'm not really sure of what it is I'm doing, but that has never stopped me before. To put the counterbore in the other side of the engine chassis, I need some kind of "setting master" to set the boring tool to the diameter I require. I don't have any practical way to do that when the boring tool is in the part, so I will do it in the lathe. I have just turned a "setting master" from mild steel, one end of which is bored to the size required for the bearing and the other end turned to be about 0.010" smaller than the 7/16" hole which the boring tool must pass thru. It will become clearer as I post more pictures.---I hope!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »
So--Here we have me setting the boring bar (held in the headstock chuck) to the inside diameter of the "setting master" which is held in the tailstock chuck. Also a picture of the counterbore cut into the second side of the engine chassis. It worked out perfectly.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 04:33:54 PM »
And last but not least, the two sealed ball bearings at home in their counterbores. You will note that the non sideshaft side has a much larger clearance hole than the sideshaft side. That is because with the large clearance hole cut into the side of the chassis for one of the helical gears, I didn't want to take any more material away than I absolutely had to.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 08:19:44 PM »
I found a piece of 1144 stress-proof steel big enough to turn a one piece crankshaft from. I'm thinking about bolt on counterweights. The model I show here is doable, but I'm not terribly impressed by the look of it. Has anyone seen bolt on counterweights on another model?  If so a picture would be appreciated.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »
Never seen that done, though it would make fabrication much easier. I have seen bolted on weights on loco drive wheels and such.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 10:17:40 PM »
Brian,
The plans for the Upshur vertical single suggested one of those round Woodruff keys as a counter weight. I wasn't comfortable with that.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal