Author Topic: Sideshaft i.c. Horizontal engine  (Read 15422 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Sideshaft i.c. Horizontal engine
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »
You fellows may remember---When I was chasing down helical gears for the sideshaft hit and miss engine I built, I bought a pair with 2:1 ratio off Ebay for $12.00 which is about $90 less than I paid for a set made in USA. I used the made in USA gears from Debolt to build my engine, but had the Ebay Chinese gears left over. I watched a YouTube video of an Edgar Westbury engine called the "Centaur" and was very impressed with the valve and sideshaft arrangement on it. Grandma was right--Idle hands truly are the devil's workshop. I was bored this week, so I've been messing around designing another sideshaft engine which uses the Chinese helical gears, and a valve arrangement similar to the Centaur engine. It's not a hit and miss engine--just a 4 cycle open crankshaft engine with a throttled carburetor. I might never build it, but it is interesting.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Sideshaft i.c. Horizontal engine
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:54:21 PM »
The engine has a 1" bore and a 1.375" stroke and is air cooled. I will probably design a fan on the side opposite from the sideshaft and drive it with an o-ring drive belt from the crankshaft.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 07:58:58 PM »
The main chassis of the engine is interesting. It is hogged out of a block of 2" thick 6061 aluminum.

Offline gunna

• Melbourne, Oz.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 05:56:09 AM »
......I might never build it, but.......
Yeah, I believe you Brian.
Keep up the good work.
Ian.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 02:05:43 PM »
Brian,
Oh no, you will build it, just a matter of time. :mischief:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 03:29:55 PM »
Of course, if you have an air cooled cylinder, it's always a good idea to have a cooling fan. I dug around in my "odds and ends" drawer and found the perfect size plastic fan. I also dug around in my aluminum box and found a scrap of 2" aluminum large enough to make the main engine body from, and a piece of 3/4" material large enough to make a base. I spent a couple of hours this morning putting in all of the tapped holes and clearance holes to put this thing together.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »
Looks like the flywheel will clash with that big gear.

Given the problems you had getting fuel up to the last engine why not put the intake at the bottom and exhaust at the top?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 04:07:11 PM »
The gear doesn't clash with the flywheel (the flywheel web is offset). I may change the carb and exhaust around.-Not sure yet. It only becomes an issue if the tank is in the base of the engine.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 06:15:28 PM »
Just looked like it came further than the web even with the offset, looks like over half way to me and offset less than half.?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
Good eye Jason.--I can slide the flywheels to whatever I need for clearance. How the heck did you make that flywheel transparent?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:32:16 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 07:48:33 PM »
That should do the trick

I did not make it transparent, just drew a black ring around the gear.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 08:19:35 PM »
Ah heck--Thought maybe you had X-ray vision like Superman or something. Hmm--I don't know if you guys had Superman comic books on your side of the pond.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 01:17:11 AM »
I've just done one of those things that drive machinists crazy. This main chassis for the engine is up on my mill right now, and I've just realized something about the counterbores for the ball bearings. The counterbores won't be put in until the bearing caps are made up and bolted into place. I don't see any way to machine it like this. I can open the hole to full size on one side and then fit the boring bar down thru it to counterbore the other side, but unless I'm missing something I can't put a counterbore in both sides.  Its not critical that it have the web left in the side of the hole to back up the ball bearing, but it would have been nice. I know I could resort to some old time voodoo and mount it to the lathe saddle and make up a boring bar that gets assembled in place to do the counterbores, but I prefer not to do that.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 03:11:33 AM »
Could the thin web on one or both sides be added as a longer plate recessed into the side?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal