Engines > Your Own Design

Sideshaft i.c. Horizontal engine

(1/28) > >>

Brian Rupnow:
You fellows may remember---When I was chasing down helical gears for the sideshaft hit and miss engine I built, I bought a pair with 2:1 ratio off Ebay for $12.00 which is about $90 less than I paid for a set made in USA. I used the made in USA gears from Debolt to build my engine, but had the Ebay Chinese gears left over. I watched a YouTube video of an Edgar Westbury engine called the "Centaur" and was very impressed with the valve and sideshaft arrangement on it. Grandma was right--Idle hands truly are the devil's workshop. I was bored this week, so I've been messing around designing another sideshaft engine which uses the Chinese helical gears, and a valve arrangement similar to the Centaur engine. It's not a hit and miss engine--just a 4 cycle open crankshaft engine with a throttled carburetor. I might never build it, but it is interesting.

Brian Rupnow:
The engine has a 1" bore and a 1.375" stroke and is air cooled. I will probably design a fan on the side opposite from the sideshaft and drive it with an o-ring drive belt from the crankshaft.

Brian Rupnow:
The main chassis of the engine is interesting. It is hogged out of a block of 2" thick 6061 aluminum.

gunna:

--- Quote from: Brian Rupnow on March 19, 2019, 07:49:08 PM --- ......I might never build it, but.......

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I believe you Brian.
Keep up the good work.
Ian.

Art K:
Brian,
Oh no, you will build it, just a matter of time. :mischief:
Art

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version