Author Topic: small milling vice  (Read 3225 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
small milling vice
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:56:15 PM »
Where is there a UK supplier of the small milling vice with socket screw activation as seen frequently on Chris's thread?
Moving from big Burrell to small engines calls for some smaller / accurate tackle.

Terry

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: small milling vice
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 09:33:49 PM »
Hi Terry

Try here

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/

Cheers

Rich

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:37:47 PM »
Hi Terry,

Little Machine Shop carries the ones I use in a few sizes. They will ship most things internationally, worth asking them for a quote to ship to you. Shars has them as well, and definitely will ship to you.

Chris

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »
Yes Arc does some cheap ones: https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Workholding/Machine-Vices/Precision-Tool-Vices-Type-2

If you want to go smaller then RDG still do the little Vertex vice: https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/High-Precision-Toolmakers-Screwless-Vice-34mm-3132.html But the price has gone up  :o

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »
Thank you Rich, Chris and Jo.      Went for RDG as I have a discount card.  I don't know why I did not check them out in the first place :headscratch:

All sorted now              Terry

Online sco

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 03:11:17 PM »
I know Chris does some fantastic work with his but I find them a frustration to use - constantly having to adjust the tommy bar location and they don't seem to grip the work very well so the job moves under cut - could just be me though.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »
I know Chris does some fantastic work with his but I find them a frustration to use - constantly having to adjust the tommy bar location and they don't seem to grip the work very well so the job moves under cut - could just be me though.

Simon.
Mine does not have the separate cross bar, it is part of the lower end of the screw holder. I have seen some that you have to keep separately moving the bar hole to hole - on those you can usually swap to a shorter cross bar loctited in place. It is a bit of a nuisance having to adjust the length of the screw for different widths, but it is not bad.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 07:13:22 AM »
I'm the same as you Simon and find them fiddly to adjust so I only use my small ARC one when the 4" vertex won't do such as mounting at an angle etc. Also got a 90mm ARC one here that I have only used once and that was because it jaw opening/height suited a job but I do use the ARC versatile 80mm quite often which would be fine for small parts work

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 08:13:30 AM »
I still love my little Vertex vice that can be used as a vice in a vice. When you need a little vice I have not found anything that can touch it for those fiddly jobs :ThumbsUp: I also have a pair of the toolmaker vices which use the tommy bar for clamping, which I use as a pair on the machine bed for supporting longer items.

As for the modern style vices there are some very nice Modular CNC Precision ones around but someone sold the low profile French one I wanted to buy from him  :rant:  :censored:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 09:36:08 PM »
Postman has been,   just have to make some small tee-nuts / clamps so I can use it, then get on with my mill engine.
We all have our little vices :ShakeHead:             Terry

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 07:22:56 AM »
You can always hold it in the big one on a couple of parallels

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 08:27:29 PM »
I wanted to show the improvements i made to my Toolmakers vice in regards to knowing how far you can undo the screw before it drops of. i Have shown this before but now i have a video.
The crossbar clicks in every 15mm and the range of adjustment is a little more, if you open the jaw fully and then mark off every 15mm on the side it's a great help.
Hope my pictures make this clear.   www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3CuK-RQSNU
Geoff

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal