Engines > Restoration of Model Engines

How to keep busy for the next 20 years!

<< < (2/6) > >>

MJM460:
Looks like someone’s life’s work.  Sold by the family perhaps?

I am sure the original owner would be pleased that they have gone to a home where they will be appreciated.  And over the moon if you can finish them like that beam engine.  A great responsibility.

Looking forward to progress reports.  You did an amazing job on that beam engine plant.

MJM460

simplyloco:

--- Quote from: MJM460 on March 08, 2019, 08:02:26 AM ---Looks like someone’s life’s work.  Sold by the family perhaps?

SNIP
MJM460

--- End quote ---

The seller is 88 and looks 68, has a wonderful workshop, plus a concours Willys Jeep (complete with front mounted monkey bike) and a similar quality MG TB (only 379 were made), and an original Austin Mini, but he never got around to fixing up the items I bought... :NotWorthy:
John

MJM460:
So he set a high standard as well!

No pressure of course.  Sounds like I will have to take up eating pop corn.

MJM460

simplyloco:
Looks like this lot won't take 20 years, so don't buy anymore popcorn! I started the Sirius yesterday, ran it on air to make sure that I wasn't wasting my time, and then started the renovation. As there is no sign whatsover of any wear, all I had to do was polish and paint it!
A few pics:
It started like this. Filthy dirty, a unfettled valve chest casting - it was wartime!- , a lumpy boss on the inlet manifold, and serious tarnishing.
20190309_162016 by inkaboat, on Flickr

I cleaned it with some petrol. I loosely connected the airbrush compressor and the thing ran like a watch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3xXMY67OlA

Quite happy now, I took it apart. There was no discernable wear in the bores or anywhere else!
20190309_171643 by inkaboat, on Flickr

Most of these I've seen have a hideous connector added to the inlet manifold. I found an original photo and the engine now has a reasonable copy of the original connector. I thought the thread was 0.5" UNF 20 tpi. Unfortunately for me, it was 0.514" UNF so I had to get my hand chaser out to finish the job!
20190310_130812 by inkaboat, on Flickr

It now looks quite nice. I'll grit blast the body at the Club on Wednesday, paint it, refit the flywheel and put it on the shelf to await the completion of my Scotch boiler and the 4'6" MTB!
20190310_171105 by inkaboat, on Flickr
20190310_171116 by inkaboat, on Flickr

Jo:
Looking good.

At this rate you will shortly have to buy some more engines to play with :-X

Jo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version