Author Topic: 4 jaw self centering versus individual jaw adjustable type chuck  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: 4 jaw self centering versus individual jaw adjustable type chuck
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 02:02:05 PM »
But did they come out of octagonal stock?

No they came out of the same round stock shape as I make my hex bolts out of as you cannot buy the right size BA Hex stock these days.

4 jaw SC chucks are a nice to have, if you have the money you can buy one. If you are short of money start with a four jaw independent chuck and a face plate - it will do everything you need but take longer to set up. Then you can choose if you want to buy a three jaw or four jaw self centring chuck - when you do you will notice that the four jaw ones are more expensive.

It is always recommended that you protect soft metals when you hold them in a chuck to prevent the jaws marking the material when they are tightened.

Jo

P.S. Cheap chucks don't remain accurate as long as better quality more expensive ones  ::)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
Re: 4 jaw self centering versus individual jaw adjustable type chuck
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »
I can't use my SC 4jaw chuck to hold hex stock, as the tips are too large...only for square or rectangular. much faster and reproducible than with the 4independent jaw.

It also holds round pieces much beefier than my SC3Jaw, somewhat worn at the tip

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wQSHosLF8fMJi47w9
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:59:52 PM by Zephyrin »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal