Author Topic: More Milling Machine Woes  (Read 2820 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: More Milling Machine Woes
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »
Colin retirement is definitely the way to go!!  Highly recommended :)

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »
Mike,

Thank you for the offer but yes I think a bit too far.

Its certainly going to be a case of musical machines.

Mill out and onto pallet truck

Grinder out and onto pallet truck

Move BCA jig borer to where the mill used to be

Hope there is space left for the new mill.  Hopefully the machine movers will have skates and rollers.  Need to get  it over the pit.

Move Myford S7 to where the grinder used to be.

I have a horrible feeling that my four wall mounted engineers wooden chests are all going to have to come down and be relocated (God knows where)(wife will, say get rid off).

Raise 3 shelves

Lister D stationary engine may also have to move.

Is it all worth it I ask myself.

Colin

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 08:46:18 PM »
If the shaft was too *soft* you wouldn't see a clean break - you'd see a sort of spiral staircase-shaped bit of torn metal. A clean break is a brittle failure, tending to suggest a hard material through which a crack propagates along the crystal structure of the metal.

Err, backwards I think.  Take a piece of chalkboard chalk, and torque it along its axis to snap it - it breaks in a spiral/helix shape, which is the mark of brittle materials (glass works here too).  Take a piece of soft copper wire, lead wire, or some dough and twist it similarly, and it shears at 90 degrees to the axis, which is indicative of ductile failure.  Beachmarks for fatigue, I agree.  Sorry to be persnickety, but it can be important to know what torsional fractures look like and what to do if you want your stuff to behave differently.

Online sco

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
Is it all worth it I ask myself.

Oh boy don't I know that feeling!  Spent the last month or so insulating the floor and walls of my workshop which has involved lifting and moving every piece of machinery, all the storage, shelves, junk etc. multiple times and still not finished.  Should be all done in a month or so but starting to flag....

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 10:15:41 PM »
Mill is all disconnected and bits taken off and cleaned.  Ready to be lifted when mate with Large engine crane appears.  Surface grinder disconnected and cleaned but not a cat in hells chance of moving it without the crane.  Got it high enough to put some rebar  underneath but cannot roll it.  Needs the larger ally rollers.  Lifted shelves an 1 1/2".  Thank goodness I used Unistrut and only had to remove shelf contents, loosen bolts in zebs and push/lever them up a bit.  If I can move the machines before Sunday I might be able to paint the floor before working away Monday/Tuesday.  There is so much stuff stored between the machines I'm not sure where its all going to go to.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 07:33:06 PM »
Crane only just managed to pick up grinder.  Both machines on pallet trucks and first coat of floor paint down.  Second coat will go on in morning.

Just remembered that I do not have neutrals on my 3 phase supplies.  That’s a bit of a b....r as new machine needs a neutral.  Looks as though I need to get a minor rewire sorted quickly.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 07:40:31 PM »
Rewire done, put in new cable rather than trying to thread a neutral all the way round workshop through ceiling etc.  Walls touched up.

Space is made (hopefully enough).

Machine movers coming sometime between 6:30 and 7:30 in morning.

Picture 1 - old machine
Picture 2 - painted space

Picture 3 - appears tomorrow

Colin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal