Author Topic: Travis Steam Engine 2 X Size  (Read 15191 times)

toolznthings

Re: Travis Steam Engine 2 X Size
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2019, 06:01:40 PM »
Intake and exhaust manifolds / piping.

Machining adapters for the plumbing to attach to the valve bodies.

Cutting the outside shape on the Tormach.

Two different setups for soft soldering the adapters and tubing fittings. Second picture shows the setup for the intake manifold to position the inlet fitting for soldering.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2019, 06:10:01 PM »
Hello Brian,

Most impressive how you have laid out the plumbing, this surely will look good on the engine. Out of curiosity, what size is the tubing?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

toolznthings

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2019, 02:07:42 AM »
Hello Brian,

Most impressive how you have laid out the plumbing, this surely will look good on the engine. Out of curiosity, what size is the tubing?

Have a great day,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

It's 1/4" sweat fittings that use 3/8" diameter copper tubing.   ::)  McMaster Carr has a good selection.
I used the " K " grade, heavy wall, tube that comes in straight lengths.  ( nice and straight ) Non bendable type. Overall I didn't think the pricing was reasonable.

Brian

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2019, 06:10:32 PM »
The piping looks fantastic Brian!
Thanks for showing your set ups. It is always very informative and I always learn a lot!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »
Really nice fixture work Brian!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

toolznthings

« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2019, 02:14:28 PM »
Starting some assembly ..........

Just a picture of the setup I used for the base of the engine that I decided to make. Made from cut down aluminum angle that I had and not part of the original plans. Milled some decorative pockets in
the face of the angle.

Next picture of some of the engine parts after all the bench work and final finish work was completed. Considerable amount of time was spent to remove all the mill marks and other blemishes from machining.
Sometimes more difficult than the original making of the parts, but well worth the effort in the end.

For those wondering about the brass flywheel.  :o  Made from a piece of brass I have been hording for over twenty plus years and finally decided this project was a good place to use it.  ;D
6-1/4" diameter x 1-1/4" wide at the rim.

Picture of the engine base plate mounted to the stand. Fastened thru the hidden leg of the angle to tapped holes in the engine base plate.

Next step was to make and finish a wood base for everything. There are internal blocks soldered to the brass end plates that are tapped for mounting bolts that hold the wood base in place. Not visible.

Start with the crankshaft and the cams . Set in place on the center bearing with some lube on the journal.

First end plate and bearing mounted to the one end of the base.

Another view of the end. Some of the finish work involved removing the markings from the hex bolts and polishing the ends.   8)
Ends of the locating dowels are visible. All the dowels are a slip fit.

« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2019, 02:40:09 PM »
Hello Brian,

WOW is just not good enough, how about WOW. Oh well still not good enough, but you should get the idea. Beautiful work and I have too many questions to ask, but will ask how did you get all the plate to look so clean and smooth? The base is a really nice touch and the family photo is excellent. I must think that your engine is going to run even slower than mine, cannot wait to see it in action.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

toolznthings

« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2019, 02:42:41 AM »
Hello Brian,

WOW is just not good enough, how about WOW. Oh well still not good enough, but you should get the idea. Beautiful work and I have too many questions to ask, but will ask how did you get all the plate to look so clean and smooth? The base is a really nice touch and the family photo is excellent. I must think that your engine is going to run even slower than mine, cannot wait to see it in action. Scotch-Brite is another item I use,too.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Thanks so much, Thomas !

I bench out all the mill marks using self stick " emery " paper for wood working on a granite plate made for wood workers to sharpen plane blades, chisels, etc. This keeps things flat and true. The matte finish is from very fine glass bead blasting. I've been using with success a solvent based wax for a protective finish. It's difficult to keep smudges and finger prints off everything at assembly , but the wax is working good.
It's called Bri-Wax and comes in colors, obviously I'm using clear. I've experimented with other coatings and this is working well so far.

Ask away on anything else that you may be interested in.

Brian

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
Wowo indeed!!!  Love the family shot of all the parts too!!  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2019, 03:07:13 PM »
Some more assembly of the lower engine parts.

The opposite end plate installed.

Picture of the bearing retainer mounted to the end plate.

Another view of the assembly.

The cylinders mounted in place.

Parts for the piston assembly with the connecting rod and end cap,wrist pin and set screws that hold the pin in place.

Piston with rod in place. Flat on wrist pin visible where the set screw seats.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
Amazing finish on all the parts Brian!
It sure is going to be a beautiful engine.

Dave

toolznthings

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2019, 02:36:18 PM »
Final assembly pictures ..........

Piston and rod assembly going into one of the cylinders.

Cylinder head with the SHCS that hold it to the cylinders.

Details of the valve rod and bearing with lower guide. The dog point screw to stop rotation and the valve spring.

One of the manifolds showing the adapter with a o-ring in place.

Cylinder head detail with my logo engraved and a valve spring in place at the end of the valve.  ( Logo was done with non rotating diamond drag engraving on the Tormach. )

The valve block cover that retains the valve spring. Drilled with a vent hole to prevent any trapped air to bleed out when the valve is in motion. ( drag engraved )

Showing the air intake manifold side of the engine. This is where the fixtures for soldering was so important.

Exhaust side of the engine with engraved tag with credit to Travis for his fine design.  :ThumbsUp:  ( Rotary tool engraving on the tag. )

Thomas, thanks so much for sharing your plans !   :cheers:

End view picture.

One more picture of the engine with a gear I found in my " junk " that I greatly modified to place on the opposite end of the crank for looks.  8)

« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2019, 03:05:18 PM »
Hello Brian,

You are more than welcome and I am honored that you choose one of my steam engine designs to build. The amount of time and effort that you have spent on building this show piece is evident in every detail of the construction. I am sure that everyone on this forum will agree that you have produced a magnificent work of art. Thank you for sharing all of your work on this thread I have really enjoyed following along.

Thank you again and have a great day,
Thomas

PS; that rear quarter view of the flywheel end is beautiful. :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2019, 03:09:27 PM »
Simply gorgeous Brian and top notch photos as well to show it off. Please remember to add it to the "Showcase" section as well. Looking forward to seeing a video of it running too!!!

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2019, 03:20:15 PM »
Thanks Thomas !!

Brain not working   :insane:  " showcase section "  ?

Thanks Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal