Author Topic: Travis Steam Engine 2 X Size  (Read 15260 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Travis Steam Engine 2 X Size
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2019, 01:22:49 AM »
Still following along and really enjoying the build. Keep the pictures coming please.  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2019, 03:11:18 AM »
Hello Brian,

Oh boy, now you have my blood pressure going way up. That is just plain old fashion BEAUTIFUL :praise2:, now I cannot wait to see a final assembly photo.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Hang in there Thomas ! I won't disappoint, more to come.  :)  And Thanks !!

toolznthings

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2019, 02:07:31 PM »
Machining the cylinder head.

Luckily I had a piece of 6061-T6 bar stock in my collection of materials. The only problem was it was a 1" to big one way and a 1/2" the opposite. Got started milling to square up to the cylinder head overall size.
The head is 7.750" long x 2.500" high and 4.000" wide.

Getting one side cleaned up.

Then got to some serious milling to remove a bunch of material.

Left some stock on the 2.500" height and started the milling of the steps on the sides.

With the steps finished I took the last cut on the 2.500" thickness.   Not shown. I left some stock on both faces in case of any movement in the material from cutting the steps. Already did the side against the vise.

Forgot to take pictures of cutting the corner radius using a 1/2" shank carbide wood router bit.   :Doh:   That worked very well.   :ThumbsUp:

All the machining for this part of the head is complete. More operations to come.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »
Hello Brian,

Man that is a stack of swarf on your machine  :Lol:. Same thing happened to me, my raw stock was too big and had a lot of milling to get it down to size. Looking good and my blood pressure is still rising.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2019, 11:35:20 PM »
A high metal removal rate is sure fun! The clean up afterwards not so much...   :Lol:
Beautiful part. I still marvel at the size of if it.  :popcorn:

toolznthings

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »
More work on the cylinder head ..........

Add a center location for the bores that accept the cylinders and scribe a layout line to rough to with a end mill. The bores finish at 3.250" x .250" deep.

Rough out the stock close to the layout. Finish bore to size after this operation on both locations.

After the bores are complete the 17/64" drilled holes for the head bolts are drilled.

With the head turned over the head bolt counter bores were completed for 1/4-20 SHCS.

Next set up added the tapped holes for the valve blocks and drilling for the air passages on both ends.

Last operation connects the air passages to the cylinder bores. This completes the head for now.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2019, 10:39:38 PM »
Still following along Brian, and enjoying the build. Nice looking parts too.

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2019, 02:06:50 AM »
Still following along Brian, and enjoying the build. Nice looking parts too.

Bill

Thanks much, Bill !

toolznthings

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
Machining the engine cylinders ........

Starting with 3 3/4" 6061-T6 bar stock I did a cleand up cut on the stock O.D. to 3.725" and did a rough bore of 2" diameter.

With a center in the stock the outside ribs features of the cylinder were cut.

The next operation was to finish bore the cylinder to 2.375" for the bronze cylinder liners.

The finish machined cylinders were cut from the bar stock at the horizontal bandsaw and faced to length. The cylinders are 4.250" long.  ( no pics for this operation )

The 660 bronze stock was turned for a .002" plus diameter of 2.377" for a shrink fit into the aluminum cylinders and parted off longer than than finished size of 4.250".

Got the wife to supervise   8)   me heating up the cylinders in the kitchen oven to accept the liners. Checking for size and a liner in place. Oven at 450 degrees did the trick.

Back to the lathe with the cylinder in soft jaws with the first operation to face of the liner to the finished length of the aluminum.

Finish boring the liner to 2.000" with a light polish with some fine Scotch Brite.

The last operations was to turn the 3.250" diameters on each end that fits the cylinders head and bottom plate bores.

A look at the cylinders in place on the engine base.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2019, 02:51:43 PM »
Glad the shrink fit of the liners went well. That can always be a tense moment  :). Things are coming along well Brian.

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
Hello Brian,

I agree with what Bill said....that operation can make you pucker a bit :ROFL:

Really like the looks of the extra "fins" on the cylinders  :ThumbsUp:, I had not though about that  :noidea:

I know it is two times larger than the original design, but the latest "assembly" photos make it look a whole lot bigger. Beautiful workmanship all the way around  :NotWorthy:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2019, 09:37:29 PM »
Fine work so far  :praise2:  but man it is BIG  :o   not really a model any more (in my book) as it is big enough to do real work  ;)

toolznthings

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2019, 07:40:25 PM »
Pushing forward .........   :ThumbsUp:

A couple of more notes on the cylinders. The 1/4-20 mounting holes on each end of the cylinder need to be inline with each other. A simple fixture made from a squared up piece of aluminum with the
bolt pattern to match the cylinder and orientated to the fixture edge.

Cylinder head in place.

Next up are the pistons. Made from 303 stainless steel and will have a fit to the cylinder bores with .0005" per side clearance. The pistons are 2.000" in diameter and 2" long.

After rough turning the O.D. the  counterbore in the end of the cylinder was cut to depth followed buy a rough drilling to depth for the rod end slot.

A final finish cut to size on the O.D.

Set up at the mill in my mounted 4 jaw chuck with brass shim protecting the piston diameter. Center of the piston dialed in.

Using a 5/8" end mill to cut the slot for the connecting rod.

Checking for width with adjustable parallel . Final width will be .750".

Indicating the finished slot for drill and reaming for the wrist pin. The wrist pin will be a 5/16" dowel pin.

Drill and ream for the wrist pin.

Set up to add two 8-32 taped holes for set screws to hold the wrist pin.

Drilling and tapping.

That's it for now.  :cheers:   Headed to N.A.M.E.S. this weekend. Hope to have fun displaying some of my other builds.   :cartwheel:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »
Have fun at NAMES and take some pictures if possible :)

Bill

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »
The pistons look fantastic!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Thanks for showing all the different set ups. It’s very informative.  :cheers:

Have fun at NAMES.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal