Author Topic: 1st Completed engine from plans  (Read 1169 times)

Offline V 45

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 384
  • central PA...USA
Re: 1st Completed engine from plans
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »
More pics...Initial blocks cut to size, drilled and tapped risers, used boring head to cut recesses for bearings, checked alignment of bearings since I didn't want to line ream. I didn't want to see the big hole on the inside of the riser. Had to use blocks to support the base while cutting the slot, a lot more rigid for my small machine.
Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Offline V 45

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 384
  • central PA...USA
Re: 1st Completed engine from plans
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »
More pics...crankshaft brass started as round stock as again I don't have any flat stock. Laid out after parting off in lathe for center line. Used vise parallels to line up in vise prior to milling. Drilled and reamed to .249" for a nice tight fit on the ground .250" 303 stainless round stock.
Next up are the bronze rings for flywheels. Didn't have anything big enough for a solid wheel so I used the idea from my mini Hoglet flywheels. There's a .020" internal lip to press the insert up against. The insert was 1st attempted on and aluminum mandrel, it worked ok but kept moving out of true. Made a steel mandrel and mounted the 5 C chuck. A lot less run out and the steel made it rigid enough for the interrupted cutting. The 303 stainless started as 3/8"x 1 1/2", milled down to .290"x 1.200" for a more pleasing look.
Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Offline crueby

  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8652
  • Rochester NY
Re: 1st Completed engine from plans
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 03:42:49 PM »
I like how you did the flywheels, with the lip to catch the insert. Those came out great!

Offline V 45

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 384
  • central PA...USA
Re: 1st Completed engine from plans
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
Everything was sanded down to 400 grit and a little bit of crocus cloth. Finished !
Never assume the implied task has been completed !!