Author Topic: Intro  (Read 1218 times)

Offline David.F

Intro
« on: February 26, 2019, 10:52:40 PM »
Hello everyone, my name's David and I'm an engine-oholic!  I live in Bedfordshire, in the UK.  I've been a model flier for almost 50 years, but in all that time model engines have fascinated me.  I like to think I have a good understanding of what makes them work (or not) and how to fix problems.  I started building a Sugden Special 2.5 cc diesel at school as part of the Duke of Edinburgh's scheme.  Sadly, the project was never completed, but was always in the back of my mind.  Many years later a friend offered me his Myford Super 7 at a price I couldn't resist!  With no formal training since school days, I started experimenting and making odd bits and pieces.  I made a few parts to repair model engines, graduating through re-boring worn-out engines and eventually managed to obtain two Sugden Special castings.  Both engines ran very well with propeller RPMs closely approaching my Mk3 Oliver Tiger, despite being plain bearinged and significantly lighter.  I came across this group quite by chance just a couple of days ago and have been avidly following Ramon's 5cc Oliver Tiger project - and have already picked up several tips and ideas.  I'm afraid I lack the skill levels which are clear to see in so many projects on here, but I'm hoping to learn!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 11:02:26 PM »
 Hi and welcome to MEM David. It's a great place to hang out and learn or share knowledge. Please don't be shy...jump right in wherever you wish.

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 11:35:06 PM »
Hello everyone, my name's David and I'm an engine-oholic!  I live in Bedfordshire, in the UK.  I've been a model flier for almost 50 years, but in all that time model engines have fascinated me.  I like to think I have a good understanding of what makes them work (or not) and how to fix problems.  I started building a Sugden Special 2.5 cc diesel at school as part of the Duke of Edinburgh's scheme.  Sadly, the project was never completed, but was always in the back of my mind.  Many years later a friend offered me his Myford Super 7 at a price I couldn't resist!  With no formal training since school days, I started experimenting and making odd bits and pieces.  I made a few parts to repair model engines, graduating through re-boring worn-out engines and eventually managed to obtain two Sugden Special castings.  Both engines ran very well with propeller RPMs closely approaching my Mk3 Oliver Tiger, despite being plain bearinged and significantly lighter.  I came across this group quite by chance just a couple of days ago and have been avidly following Ramon's 5cc Oliver Tiger project - and have already picked up several tips and ideas.  I'm afraid I lack the skill levels which are clear to see in so many projects on here, but I'm hoping to learn!

Welcome!

Like Bill said, you found the right place.   ask away!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 12:11:17 AM »
Hi David,
Welcome to the forum!
Kim

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:04:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum David :hi:

I'd heard that a well made Sugden had a very good performance - sounds like you made a good job of them  :ThumbsUp:

I'm sure you will enjoy all the vast range on offer here - hopefully you will add to it at some stage  :)

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal