Author Topic: AOG’s 3D printed Ford Flathead Completed  (Read 3209 times)

Online AOG

AOG’s 3D printed Ford Flathead Completed
« on: February 24, 2019, 07:39:09 PM »
Here is my completed 3D printed Model of a Ford Flathead.

Here is a video of it running.

Please excuse the slipping “belts” those were the only rubber bands that I had and they like to slip.

Till next time.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: AOG’s 3D printed Ford Flathead Completed
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:00:31 PM »
Very well done, even the valves were going!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 08:23:47 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
Pretty cool! nice job!

John

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 08:43:09 PM »
Nice display / education model  :cheers:

Online AOG

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 09:19:09 PM »
Thanks everyone, I got a lot out of this build from a material properties point of view. These 3D printed parts are pretty strong on compression but they are terrible in tension along the layer lines. As long as you orient the prints to avoid layer separation, I think that 3D prints would be viable for single use tooling and fixtures for our hobby. I also think this stuff might be viable for making former plates for copper boilers. I need to give this some thought.

Tony

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:49:07 PM »
Thanks everyone, I got a lot out of this build from a material properties point of view. These 3D printed parts are pretty strong on compression but they are terrible in tension along the layer lines. As long as you orient the prints to avoid layer separation, I think that 3D prints would be viable for single use tooling and fixtures for our hobby. I also think this stuff might be viable for making former plates for copper boilers. I need to give this some thought.

Tony
The use as a former would put a LOT of force on the plastic, both when forming the metal down on it and also when prying the part off since it always seems to grab when doing cup-shaped end plates. I think I would stick to hardwood for that.

Is it all 3d parts that have the weakness along the layer lines, or does it depend on what the plastic type is?

Online AOG

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 11:03:37 PM »
From my experience they all have that weekness. Please note that it’s a relative weekness. I would say that you only get approximately 60-70 percent of the full strength of the material at the layer joins.

Tony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal